Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 weeks till I'm joining the madness on the road

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Rookie41, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hi,

I'm a 33 year old from the Newcastle (NSW) area who's decided to go for his bike license.
    2 weeks from today I'll be doing my pre-learners course.

Past experience?
    I had multiple 50cc's in Europe from the age of 16 to 20 (yes I went for my car's license rather late).
    Started on a Honda Camino (which I dropped on the first day driving down the steep wet driveway into our car park), only had it for 6 months.
    Upgraded to a Peugeot Speedfight scooter which I had for the next 4 years. Dropped it a few times on icy roads and very wet roads. 6 weeks cast on my leg was the worst injury. (got up after I stacked it, pushed it off the road, bent the steering wheel straight and drove it home, collapsed on the driveway as I couldn't walk)
    Around my 18th I bought a Kawasaki AR50, fantastic little machine. Never dropped it.

Never been on a bike/scooter/moped again since I got my car license but recently I've been itching to get back on one.
    I've been looking at bikes for weeks, been reading the road/motorcycle rulebooks bit by bit preparing myself for the tests.
    My wife bought me a helmet for my Birthday earlier this month.
    Looking to get a CFMoto Leader 150 (cheap and slow).
    Not looking to spend a lot of money on my first bike as I'm sure I'll drop it (if not by myself, with the help of a car for sure).

Looking forward to reading a lot of threads here and getting to know some people.
  2. Welcome to NR!! Good luck with your test.
  3. Welcome to NR..
  4. Welcome, fellow Novacastrian
  5. A few weeks down the road now.
    Passed my Pre-Learners course and passed the Driver Knowledge test on Thursday.
    Got my L's ready, going to buy a bike some time this week (thinking of getting a Suzuki Inazuma 250).
  6. Welcome Rookie -- Novocastrian here too! See you around. :)
  7. Congrats on your progress to date.

The Inazuma seems to be a sensible choice. Have you checked out http://cycle-ergo.com/ yet?
  8. I sure have Mick M, I also sat on it earlier in the week. Perfect fit :)
    Hope to get a short ride on it tomorrow after work before I buy one :)
  9. welcome aboard :] good luck with your test
  10. G'day Rookie41, it's not madness out there unless you let it in. Stay safe, stay alert and don't take anyone for granted, treat everyone as if they're out to get you and you should be alright.