Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 Supersport icons, whats do you think?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by robbied, Nov 13, 2008.

1. The perfect supersport. Its not really a concept anymore is it?

The 2007 Honda CBR 600RR and the 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750 are both bikes I would put into that catagory. They are also the bikes im seriously looking at right now. After sampling both I have to say they are pretty similar. So let's nitpick.

Price wise the 750 is about $700-1000 more.

The 750 is obviously the more powerful of the two by about 10-15 rwhp.
    But you have to take into account the weight difference. The 600RR is 6-7 kilograms lighter (dry weights).

Handling is pretty similar. They are both excellent. For someone of my current skill level it wouldn't make a difference. Gearboxes are both silky smooth.

The underseat exhaust on the Honda looks nice but is hotter and heavier. The 750's low mount exhaust makes more sense (lower weight distribution, lighter). As a result you also get some storage space on the 750.

The 600RR gets better mileage (18 litre tank vs. the 750's 16.5 litre tank) which gives it the slight advantage on those 500km days.

Equipment-wise: the 750 has a slipper clutch and adjustable rearsets, the 600RR does not. Obviously i'd prefer them included as standard but aftermarket products are easy to come by. The 600RR has a fuel gauge, im not sure how accurate it is but I like it.

Comfort wise they are pretty similair for me.

Reliability/build quality/fit and finish: Both are excellent as should be expected these days. I do feel the Honda is just slightly better.

For what I want to do (500km's or so a week in the hills and occasional commuting) they would both suit the purpose perfectly. If it comes down to price the Honda would win, its an excellent package, but is it worth paying an extra $700-1000 for a bit more power, slipper clutch and adjustable rearsets? This bike is not going to just sit in the garage, so after 20,000 km's+ which bike would be on top?

What are your thoughts?
  2. By the sounds of it, toss a coin. :grin:
  3. Pretty much! Thats what makes it so hard. Some thoughts from long term owners would be very helpful.
  4. Nitpicking, 750 isnt exactly supersports.

slipper clutch is not a very decisive factor.
    600rr has electronic steering damper. I've never felt it working. either its operation is seamless or i am not going fast enough.

fuel gauge is the epitome of civilization. like ice dispenser on fridges.

but the gix has gear indicators which is also civilise
  5. I've not ridden the 750, so my opinion is based on reviews and other peoples comments. Although it weighs more, the difference is not substantial. The additional torque of the 750 would be the biggest difference and make the bike a heap easier to ride and enjoy.

Given that they are both amazing bikes, what do you like the look of?
  6. UPDATE:

So I tested both bikes again back to back today which provided some insight.

The GSXR750 is noticeably more powerful and torquey. But it's heavier and it feels heavier and fatter.
    The 600RR's flick ability and turn-in is miles ahead of the 750.

The 750 has a linear, wide power delivery similar to my 900RR. The 600RR has a sweet spot between 7000-14000 and if you keep it there it absolutely hammers like a racebike which is so satisfying.

The brakes are slightly better on the 600RR (probably due to its weight also).

The suspension (although both bikes were at stock settings) was smoother and provide much more feedback on the 600RR. You can feel every ripple and surface change.

The quality of the finish on the Honda is better than the Suzuki.

So in the end....

Watch this space

7. I own an 07 600rr (which I'm selling shortly :() that has 12000 hard and soft km's on it and it hasn't missed a beat even once. Not even a slight rattle. It's a beautiful machine that handles even better now that I've had the suspension set up for my weight and riding style.

Do yourself a favour, you won't regret it.
  8. Going to see Mr. Honda tommorow, I hear he has a little something for me :cool:
  9. Congrats. I've been fighting off the urge to get one since I was quoted a little over $13k *on road* for the 600rr.
  10. isn't 13k on road a good price tho??
  11. It's a brilliant price as far as I'm aware. I'm not in the market for a new bike, but that bike at the price is *very* hard to say no to. The only reason I don't have one now is that it was suggested to me that if I came home with one, the boss would find a better place for a part of my anatomy that I have grown rather attached to.
  12. I'm presuming you've already ridden and ruled out the Daytona 675? I was very impressed after flanging my buds 675 on the weekend. Either way the CBR6 is a brilliant buy.