Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2-Strokes...whats the go?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Owen, Aug 14, 2005.

1. What do people think about a suzuki RG or RGV250 as a first bike?

2. If you're sane and capable of riding within your limits and easing into it great. If you're hell bent on going flat out from the minute you get it you'll be in strife.

The RGV and the NSR were made illegal for learners in NSW due to the power to weight ratio and the disproportinate number of learner riders killed or seriously injured on them.

No doubt you will hear lots more on this subject from others. But they're a bag of fun in the right hands and wont leave you gagging for something bigger when you get off your restrictions like a similar sized 4 stroke sports bike will.
  3. Once mastered, 2 strokes are so much fun, well about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.
  4. Really?!? I had no idea they were that powerful.
    I am quite sane, so it might still be an option. How does the 2 stroke go in terms of maintenance and fuel consumption?
  5. Yeh I agree. try something a little less frenetic first.
  6. Owen, it's not so much how powerful they are, lots of bikes develop more power. It's the power characteristic that's the problem for the less experienced rider. They have a very sudden power delivery once they hit a certain rev band and then things happen very quickly.

Also they are very light bikes and tend to be a bit "flighty" especially when they are revving hard.

Maintenance isn't too much of an issue, but they require more fiddling with than a 4 stroke. But, because they are a simpler engine, they cost less to fix.

Can't say first hand about insurance, but my guess is it woiuld be horrendous.
  7. If you're planning to be a weekend rider, and sane as you say, the 2-strokes are probably a good option. They do require a little more maintenance, but it's not as bad as some people make out. The only catch is they're not designed to be covering a lot of distance - if commuting is the go, opt for a more reliable 4-stroke.

Power-wise, the difference is fairly significant - 60ps vs 40ps, give or take. 50% more power at a similiar weight is definitely noticeable. :)
  8. Thanks for the help everyone. I do want it for everyday commuting, maybe even some small touring later down the track. I think 2 strokes might be out. just thought i would check cos they are pretty cheap.
    GPX250 any good for touring, fellas?
  9. Dont let any old time GT750 waterbottle owners read that.
    Even by todays standard they would have to be one of the foremost bikes for reliablity, and in fact where used on a couple of the around Aust marathon rides, just over 14 days if memory serves me.
  10. Indeed, but we're talking about the 250s here - recommended rebuilds every 15,000km.

GPX isn't bad for touring - the screen isn't as protective as a full-on tourer (wind hits ur head), but the fairing is still quite good without being bulky. Reliability they're great - I've had few problems with mine, and none engine related yet. :D