Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 stroke vs 4 stroke for maintenance issues

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by daedalus, Aug 20, 2009.

1. i would like to buy a 2 stroke honda nsr150 but i am worried about its reliability and maintenance issues due to its being 2 stroke.

my understanding is 2 strokes are cheaper to maintain but need to be maintained more regularly.

From reading the nsr150 maintenance thread, some guy had to pay $1400 for a "top end rebuild"! I understand that this has to occur every 15000km

is this true? is this normal for a bike? would a 4 stroke require this? as $1400 every 15000km is very costly!

thanks

PS: I am a total newbie at bikes, just got my Ls!

2. i took my nsr250 to a couple of mechanics and that i would be looking at paying 3k give or take. and more if i dont take the farings off before hand

but ive asked around and found people who have learnt themselves how to do top end rebuilds and costs them up to 300 dollars for parts and a couple of hours of bending your back.

3.  Top
  4. so the rebuild cost is mainly labour? is it hard to learn? i know nothing of bikes but i can learn

where would i learn from? books?

5. what do you mean "up to an engineer rebuild"?

so in conclusion a 4stroke will be much less costly to maintain?

6. Long and the short of it, yep.

Always good to know how to do it yourself though.

7. Pfffft...I do top end rebuilds on the NSR150 for around $180. And I do that every 12,000ks and I can do it now in about 1 hour.

Someone is yanking your chain big time. I personally think they are a piece of piss to work on, and bugger all cost.

But for some reason, people go on about all two strokes being really hard to maintain...weird. Maybe people are just mechanically inept? If you need a mechanic to do it and look at getting a two-cylinder bike, or get the bottom end rebuilt, that'd raise costs a lot, but 2-strokes are so easy to work on, it's better to do it all yourself IMO.

8. 2strokes are high power race tech made for race tracks, and need much more maintenance and cost more to run.

it would be cheaper if you got a higher capacity LAMS bike and just changed the oil from time to time.
    Ohh insurance is gonna be high for a 2stroke too.

9. Bloody hell mate! Which workshop do you work at?

10. I mean $180 in parts (clicky) and freeeeeeeeeee labour (for doing it myself - I'm not a mechanic) :grin:

sorry for confusion..that would be a sweet price :LOL:

EDIT: The different exchange rate means that the top end rebuild kits are now going for $97 + shipping. Jeeeezus. :shock:

11. Ha! I was about to say...

I still think with the cost of the ongoing maintenance, just the gaskets and rings etc would be more than doing the valves on a four stroke, surely?

Mostly speculation on my part, never having worked on a two-stroke before.

12. the NSR 150 sp is very easy to maintain. And cheaper in my opinion

It may need rings done every 15,000-20,000

But it does not need a majour service.
    Valves, cams, Timming chain. Which is beyond most peoples abilities to do themselves. and needs to be done say every 40,000-30,000 on a smaller 4 stroke lams bike.

reliability is another issue with the nsr altogether. U really gota make sure u are using the right oil and plug.

13. You can buy decent stroker 'top end' kits (piston, rings, gudgeon pin and circlip) from eBay stores for around $100 including postage. Add in another $50 or so for gaskets and you should be right. The replacement itself isn't all that involved, the top of the water jacket comes off and then the cylinder itself. Piston is then just sitting there waiting to be plucked out and replaced.

No, it doesn't need valves/timing chain done, but they do need regular attention to the powervalve (if fitted). I'd also budget in a rebore and bearings every ~40,000km, in addition to piston/ring changes, but thats nothing too bad in the wallet department.

My ass! You ever insured one? A 250cc stroker might be high, but my RS125 got third party for a paltry $175 through the NRMA. I imagine the Honda 150 would be fairly similar.

Definitely. Also, a lot of people just put things in the 'dont want to know' category and front up silly money for something they could have done for nix after a bit of reading and stuffing around. Good work for being keen to learn, daedalus.

Go for a test ride, check it out. I thought I'd get an NSR150 to start with, but found them being dwarfed by my 6'2"-tall frame. My Aprilia 125 fits just right, though; its about the size of a 600cc four-stroke.

Cheers - boingk

14. There are only a few trusted NSR mechanics that I would recommend in Melbourne, and most of them have a huge waiting list.

DIY is much cheaper, make sure you have the right tools and put aside the whole weekend (in case of stuff ups....unplanned and unknown problems). Give me a yell if you need a hand with anything.

15. I would have spent as much on maintenance on my RD-250/350 Yamaha as I did on maintenance for the my next three bikes (4-strokes) put together. And that's not counting the stuff I did myself and didn't have to pay for :shock:.

16. And tbh I think it's experiences like these that show where the problem lies.

Speaking to mechanics and 2 stroke riders, it seems the modern two strokes are different animals to those of the past. It seems a lot of peoples opinions seem to be based on bike from the '70s and '80s and these ideas perpetuate even after they stop being necessarily true.

(Not making a "Hornet is old joke", but if you've owned a few bikes in the mean time it's fair to say it was a while ago :p :grin:)

17. 2 Strokes rule.....

Fu#k the H and their "wezz willz rule zee world witzh our expensive 4 stroke scheiz"

Nothing beats peering thru the Elf haze as the bike warms up in the garage

Yes more maintinence required, but maintinence so simple even a school girl could do it ( with appropriate training :grin: )

18. I always imagined modern 2-strokes would be much worse, in terms of expense, time, knowledge, and effort needed to keep them running.

Old DT yamaha's and similar were very reliable and simple to fix.

19. i fall into the 'mechanically inept' pile, and admit it's a shame having to pay mechanics to work on my Aprilia250...but its all worth it once you hit powerband.
    :grin: