Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 stroke rebuild cost?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by the_covboy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. I am looking at either the Aprilia Rs125 or Honda NSR 150.

I am having alot of difficulty finding information on engine rebuild costs for these two bikes and ease of availability of parts.

I would appreciate any light that anyone can shed on this issue for me.

Thanks in advance

2. parts easy , just go to the dealer and order

prob about $200 for piston rings and gaskets , rings a dealer for exact costs

its not that hard to do a top end rebuild , no bore and hone required , just a few tools and a bit of time

tip for young players , leave the head on the barrel and save replacing the head gasket

3. ffs do a search

200$ for parts maybe for an aprila

300$ for NSR genuien piston rings. $800 for a mechanic to do it. Thats withour replacing the barrel

4. Rs125 topend without barrell, is 400. With barel 650.
    No point rebuilding just pistons and rings if the barrell are stuffed. It will seize and cost you 3 times as much.

5. Are you mechanically comfortable to do the work yourself or getting a shop to do it?

Call a few bike stores in your area and get the costs for parts only, and for them to do it. That's going to be the best indication for costs.

OT: They are two different styles of bieks in terms of riding, I hope you are aware of that.

6. there's some older threads here about at least one netrider being reemed on a a re-build for the Aprillia.

She was certainly being conned by here mechanic, but it may have been parts too.

You can certainly save a lot of money if you learn to do it yourself. In fact I'd say it was a prerequisite of anyone buying a 2-stroke.