Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 stroke momentary run

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Lennyburger, Sep 4, 2006.

1. I've been rebuilding a little Yamaha MX80 and the engine will not run for more than about 30 seconds. It fires up okay with the choke on, is slow to rev up with throttle open but does get to power band quite impressively. Then after half a minute it just dies as if someone hit the kill switch [ which isn't even connected yet ]. Then as soon as soon as you kick it over again it repeats the performance.
    Now I was thinking fuel blockage or low float level but have cleaned the carby out several times and checked the float. I did notice that with the choke on it seems to run a bit longer, but then I also found the idle screw to be missing. Replaced this with a normal screw to block the hole up but don't know if the needle end of the original is supposed to simply lift the plunger or also restrict fuel/air flow in the threaded section it screws into. Either way, it still keeps dying shortly after starting. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps steer me to another possible cause, say reed valves or main seals?
    It's so annoying to have a creature come to life and then die just as you kick it into 1st gear.

2. had the exact same problem with my old toyota corolla mech fixed it was something to do with ignition system, i remember it being something really small and cheap.

good luck i can see not many people have replied.
  3. What do you mean by "idle screw"?

If you are refering to the idle mixture screw, then it is just that and there is no way a normal screw will even come close to doing the right job.

It's a screw with a tapered end that either regulates the air or fuel at idle and when you crack the throttle.
  4. Too late now

I decided to investigate a bit further and it appears the bottom end bearings are gone anyway, so the seals won't seal etc. Now I have the issue of getting the drive gear off the crank. Does the drive gear have a right or left hand thread? The magneto side had normal right hand thread but this one is tight as can be and I can't make out the thread direction.
    Help anyone?
    [EDIT} - It is right hand thread if anyone ever needs to know, just needed a bigger hammer to loosen it.
    Thanks everyone, I'm just too impatient to wait. :LOL: