Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 Stroke Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Outback Bob, Aug 9, 2007.

1. I am one of many new riders , have had a look at numerous forums and the many varying opinions with in them . I am in the market to get a new bike and the Cagiva Mito has caught my eye , but everybody says to be wary of the 2 stroke due to high maintenance. What do you class as high maintenance , something that needs to be looked at weekly , monthly , every now and again ? and what are the common problems , and can they be easily fixed without too much mechanical knowledge ? Any help will be great !! :grin: [/b]

2. I wouldn't class them as high maintenance, but they do need maintenance throughout their lives, no getting out of it.

Depending on what bike it is, it will need a top end rebuild inside of every 20,000 km's. You can't always tell how long ago a rebuild was done, buyer beware.

Oil tanks (or premix) need to be filled to mix with the petrol, another cost. Stick to good oil for maximum life.

There's nothing wrong with them, it's just that maintenance isn't always at the forefront of learners' routines, and as a result the bikes tend to get neglected. With 2-stroke engines this means a premature death.

They're fun bikes though, and easy to ride due to their light weight. Don't let the maintenance side of things put you off, just don't be ignorant about it! I would buy a 125 expecting it to need a top end rebuild.
  3. Pretty much what Cammo said.

With one word of caution. Cagiva have been notorious for having long lead times for items, so when you do a rebuild, order atleast two months in advance. If you break something on the bike.....wait two months :p

Strokers are considered higher maintenance because you have to change out the pistons and rings more often than a 4 stroke. To do that requires you to take the head and barrel off.

The benefit of a stroker is that there are no valves or timing chains to worry about, making it much simpler to learn about engines.

Depending on your riding style and frequency, the things to look at every ride are:
    tyre pressure, chain condition

fuel, 2 stroke oil

tyre wear (weekly when getting low)
    fork seals
  4. 2 bangers are a simpler motor, in that they have far less moving parts.
    No cams/timing chains, valves etc.

I agree with Cammo, but id say 20,000ks might be a bit optimistic. most people i know of and have spoken to, talk between 12-15,000.
    When you consider (for my bike at least) $400 every 12,000ks to rebuild the top end.

You also have power valves that can be tricky. Specially on the RGV's, and earlier aprilia's

I get about 4 tanks of fuel, per 1L of 2t oil. So add another $20 for a litre of 2t oil (only use good quality sythetic Castrol TTS Motul710 etc) to the cost of your fuel.

If you want a bike that you can ride, and take to a mechanic to service/etc i wouldnt recomend a 2 stroke. as the costs would be prohibitive. But if you were capable, and interested in doing the work yourself, you will save a lot of money. I was quoted $1800 buy a Aprilia Dealer to do a top end rebuild. Which i did in a day for under 500 bucks...

Just food for thought....
  5. I ride a 2 stroke dirt bike with a fair few power parts on it. Oil has to be premixed with the fuel which is a bit of a pain (have to carry around a jerry can)

2-strokes are pretty thirsty and you will not get the mileage of an equivalant 4 stroke.

With dirt bikes we tend to go by hours of use, but I have had around 10 hours use since my last full rebuild (included chewed gears and synchros) so it was quite expensive.
    But out and out performance cannot be beaten power/weight. The smaller two stroke engines <250cc are a biatch to ride around slowly as they have almost NO torque. They also require that you always rev the shit out of them to get anywhere.

I recently bought a drz00sm to convert to a bit of dirt use because the 2 stroke tires my out very quickly and is always balls to the walll.

My 2c
  6. My first bike was a two stroke (ds80 Beast). My other two strokes were all motocross bikes (rm & kx's) which did need a bit of maintenance. I found the maintenance helped me learn about bikes and really a top end rebuild isn't that hard. My road trail was my L bike and although it's 2 stroke I have pushed two pistons through 7,000 K's each and the chrome bore was in very good condition at last rebuild. Since I got the gixer my kdx is mainly my dirt weapon but it still gets a run on the road now and then. I just have to bring oil.
    P.s. My kdx 200 eats stock rgv 250's on straight roads or dirt. :wink: