Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 stroke dirt bike question (yz250)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by avanti_rider, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Hi guys, Had a bit of a search on the forum but can't find exactly what i'm looking for.

I am looking at buying an 08 YZ250 with about 10hrs on it. When i went to have a look at it tonight, we started it up and all sounded and run well, then i turned it off and wheeled it back into the garage and while i was negotiating with the owner, i noticed black oil leaking out the (crankcase?) breather tube.

Is this a normal occurrence? The guy said the gearbox oil had been changed not long ago and it would have had ~10 minutes use after. Is it possible it is just spewing out excess gearbox oil?

Cheers Guys
  2. It is possible for there to be a small amount of oil leaked from the breather tube. The bike as a whole holds about 750is ml of oil most of that is in the tranny, as it heats up the oil expands, if it is a little over full some will escape out the breather tube. it shouldn't be a problem at all.

3. If it was the transmission breather, the oil shouldn't ever be black. It usually goes grey from clutch contamination.

Far more likely to be unburnt oil/carbon draining from the exhaust powervalve vent hose. Thats BLACK black.

Perfectly normal.