Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2 Cyl vs 4 Cyl

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by kstevo, May 10, 2008.

1. Hey everyone! I'm about the buy my first road bike and I'm trying to decide between a

1998 Kawasaki GPX 250
    Price: $2500
    Kilometres: 33,890
    Decription:

I HAVE FOR AUCTION A 1998 KAWASAKI GPX 250. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PICTURES, IT HAD A MINOR DROP AND I HAVE REPLACED WITH A GENUINE 2ND HAND ONE ALL IT NEEDS IS PAINT. TYRES ARE STILL IN GOOD CONDITION, BRAKES NEARLY NEW, CHAIN IS GOOD. EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY. IT HAS GENUINE KAWASAKI OVERSEAS REAR COMBINATION LAMP WITH CLEAR LENSES GIVES IT THE SUPERBIKE LOOK WITHOUT THE COST ALONG WITH SLIMLINE FRONT INDICATORS AS PICTURED. I HAVE ALSO FITTED A PHILLIPS BLUE VISION FRONT HEADLIGHT GLOBE WHICH GIVES YOU MUCH BRIGHTER WHITE LIGHT THAN THE STANDARD GLOBE.

WILL BE SOLD WITH A VICTORIAN ROADWORTHY CERTIFICATE AND REGISTRATION TIL NOVEMBER 2008.

BUYER MUST PAY ALL TRANSFER FEES WITH VIC-ROADS, AND ANY OTHER COSTS INVOLVED WITH TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP THAT IM NOT AWARE OF.

BIKE IS AVAILABLE FOR LOCAL PICKUP IN MELBOURNE S.E SUBURBS OR CBD DURING BUSINESS HOURS.

PAYMENT METHODS ACCEPTED ARE CASH ON DELIVERY OR BANK CHEQUE ON PICKUP. NO FINANCE, NO PERSONAL CHEQUES OR ANY OTHER FORMS OF PAYMENT WILL BE ACCEPTED.

SPARES TO GO WITH THE BIKE
    -GENUINE KAWASAKI REAR TAILLIGHT (AUS MODEL)
    -SPARE GEAR SELECTOR LEVER
    -GENUINE KAWASAKI REAR TAILLIGHT LENSES
    -BRAKE DISC LOCK
    -TWO KEYS
    -SERVICE BOOK AND OWNERS MANUAL
    -FULL TANK OF MOBIL PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL

and a

1991 Yamaha FZR 250 3LN3 EXUP
    Price: $2500
    Kilometres: 15,000
    Decription:

It runs really well and handles very good, the engine is in A1 condition with low k's ( thanks to previous owner not riding it much).

Has original Plastic fairings ( no fibreglass) and pretty much all original parts.

Bike was bought from a family friend and so I can guarantee that its had a clean history. I've had the bike for approx 6 months now and is currently unregistered and have never had it registered while in my ownership. I have it going around the block a couple times a week so it keeps it running smooth.

Recently had all fluids changed including Fork oil & seals, Engine oil & filter, Coolant and brake fluids. Has had a new chain and sprockets put on aswell.
    ~~~
    The bike is gonna be used mostly for city driving with the very odd highway trip here and there. I'm leaning towards the GPX at the moment only because I'm thinking of fuel consumption but I'm starting to build the picture in my head that although the GPX is a highly recommended 250 by many, the FZR is around the same price and may (I'm unsure - something about the EXUP?) is kind of like performance though and though which could be a much better by than the GPX taking into consideration the low ks??

Your thoughts are much appreciated and advice from people in the know will have a great influence over my decision.

Thanks to anyone who reads and replys!!!

2. That's pretty cheap for an FZR in the described condition...

I owned an FZR and they are a brilliant little performer.
    That said, they are expensive to replace bits on and some places either don't want to [or just don't do it well] service of grey-imports.

I liked mine.

I understand GPX's are a lot better on fuel though.

3. take the fizzer.
    it'll go a shitload more fun than the geepy.
    and if you have to advertise a full tank of petrol with your bike, then theres obviously something wrong with the rest of the deal :? :LOL:

4. For city commuting and the odd highway trip you would be silly to get the FZR250. I have an FZR250 and they are great handling bikes but very impracticable for what you want to do compared to the GPX.

The GPX will be better on fuel and get more Km's to a tank.

5. GPX would be my pick from the two mentioned, just because it is regod, i bought a cheap bike without rego and it does take a bit of time an effort to get the blue slip (nsw) all sorted. the FZR could cost you another grand or so to get on the road dependent on condition.

I haven't ridden either so cant comment from that aspect.

6. I have a GPX and its great on fuel and has plenty of get up and go. not as much as something much higher revving but its power comes on lower. i get 325k's till reserve and i always go hard as i can off the lights..

Never had a problem with it EVER its great. and you can sit on it for hours without getting sore, back, neck, wrists, shoulders. thats a plus in my book.

7. (if you have Word or something similar it would be really quick and easy to take that first ad that's in ALL CAPS, copy and paste it to Word, convert it all to Sentence case and copy and paste it back...)

8. The km on the GPX are not excessive, and it is 7 years newer. Plus as has been said above, you need to factor in *minimum* another $300-400 for inspection to get the FZR regoed again, even before you start actually doing anything to it.

I guess if it was a general question 'GPX or FZR' I'd say the FZR is quicker and more fun to ride, the GPX is cheaper to run and arguably a better commuter. But out of these two specific bikes I'd say the overriding factors are age and state of registration.

9. yurrr if your jsut commuting, probably the GPX, but dude its in Vic. it will cost you a packet to get it back to Qld, so consider that in your purchase price.
    where is the FZR from? does it come with a RWC? if not, u should haggle down the price a bit more me thinks.

either way, it has two wheels :)

10. Whichever bike you go with fuel economy is still going to be better than all but the suckiest of cars so I wouldn't worry about that so much. The kms on the FZR are best treated with suspicion, that's not to say they might not be right but with any grey import of that age it's best to look at more than the odometer.
    Given the hassles and costs of shipping a bike I reckon either buy the FZR, or wait for another GPX to come up for sale that's a little closer to home (there's plenty out there so it shouldn't take too long).

11. Thank You

Big thanks to everyone!!!!

12. Thank You

Big thanks to everyone!!!!

Well I've decided on the GPX now all I gotta do is win it!

BTW the FZR went for $2605.00

Happy Ridin

13. the get up and go of twins, and usually their riding positions make them better learner bikes than inline 4's.
    i didnt quite take this into consideration when choosing a bike and i havent regretted it one bit. each to their one though.

if you wanna thrash something, I4
    if you want a comfy ride, I2 / V2

good luck with that gpx mate

14. The other piece of advice I'd give you - do what you want with it but it's been earned by bitter and expensive experience - is that eBay is not the ideal place to buy a bike. Check out Bikesales and Bikepoint. Reason being, mostly on eBay you buy it sight unseen and with a binding contract. If there's anything wrong with it you're screwed. If you find a bike on one of the other sites you can negotiate with the owner to get an independent mechanic's check done, paid for by you and reporting to you directly, and be sure that there is not a nasty and expensive problem lurking just around the corner. I bought my last bike on eBay, and a month later it died. 3 months with it off the road and $1700 later... and I had a working bike that was still only worth $2500.

15. Fair enuff, but you can always avoid bidding for bikes from Sellers who decline an inspection. I went out & tested some 5 ebay bikes before I settled on a purchase. All the Sellers allowed me to ride their bikes, but I did hand over my license & (my) bike/car keys plus the usual agreement - "you drop it you buy it".

OP - like someone mentioned, buying Interstate is just too much hassle, unless you're going for really rare stuff! And only if you're prepared to make an offer attractive enuff for the Seller to end the auction.

16. :shock: My exhaust cost more than that.

17. Yeah, but my dad could beat up your dad.

18. wow an exhaust worth more than 2500. what are the features?

rocket powered
    after burner
    capable of light speed

from my point of view theyre just thieves at that price...

19. You're my hero dude
    go cop a root you tool

20. i used an fzr as a comuter it was awesome.

my brother and sister both had gpx's and they were rubbish for my taste in comparison. mine looked better, sounded better, went better in mine and most people that saw the bikes side by sides opinions.

what makes a bike practical?

the only thing is u have a to fuel up the fzr more often, besides that i can't think of one thing that makes it less practical.