Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st service for gt250r

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by GOOSH, May 2, 2006.

1. hey guys, i've booked my 1st service for the 15th may at peter stevens dandenong and was wondering if i should be taking it there. also, is there anywhere else that i can get it done. ps said it is gonna cost $230

2. Any licensed bike mechanic will do if you're worried about your warranty.
  3. gOOSH,

Im taking mine to Peter Stevens (only because i got a free service today after Peter Stevens didnt pay my damn rego!!!!) So after my bf got pulled over for riding a brand new un-registered bike, i called up going off my head and asked for a free service...

ANyway thats beside the point... APart from their dodgy sales people, the guys in the service are are know for being excellent!

Also As Peter Stevens and Staffords hold the exclusive rights to selling Hyosungs, i would recommend taking it to either one of those as other service providers may have never touched a Hyosung before and you dont want to void your warranty...

Thats my 2 cents worth...
  4. Stafford Motors will charge you $160 for the service. More helpful too.

I bought at PS but prefer the service at Stafford. Up to you really, the money vs the distance. Maybe someone else can suggest a good place that is closer and cheaper? :)
  5. Hi people, i'm from Singapore. Would like to find out what needs to be done for the 1st servicing that will cost $160? Currently riding NSR 150SP and planning to change to GT250R soon... Btw, normal servicing of changing engine oil, oil filter, spark plugs wouldn't cost that much isn't it?

6. While new oil, filters and spark plugs don't cost that much by themselves, keep in mind that a workshop also needs to be able to pay their mechanics and employees wages, and cover their overheads as well.

So no, the actual parts don't cost much at all, but these are companies that are in the business to make money.
  7. Labour cost will be anything between $50 and $80 an hour.
  8. If I were you, I would go to Stafford instead and pay around $120. I think $160 is for the regular 4000km service. People are heaps nicer than those at PS. PS charges too much for the first 1000km service.

If you want to save even more, buy several oil filters ($4-5 ea) for GT250/R and take one to any qualified bike mechanic. The first service will then cost $60 to $80 and you save the mechanic's time to order in the filter.

First service is nothing but oil & oil filter change plus overall inspection and tightening any loose bolts. Personally, I don't want to give my entire day's pay to PS for a lame service that takes 30~45 min.
  9. :eek: That's really very expensive!!! What if the mechanic takes his own sweet time to do??

I'm really blessed to have shops here who don't include labour charge for servicing. Maybe you guys can try D.I.Y the changing of engine oil, sparkplugs and oil filter... Much cheaper this way and it's easy too... :)

10. I just booked my bike in at Stafford, after reaching the conclusion that nobody does loaner bikes or cars. Gassit wanted $200-300, and Stafford wanted $120. Bit of a no-brainer in my book.
  11. As an interesting comparrison.

I'm in Perth. My experience with Dale Britton Motorcycles has been fantastic.

1st service on my Hyo GT250 was $100. They gave me a loan bike for teh whole day, no questions asked, no problem what-so-ever.

Their service has been fantastic and they will obviously be getting my business in the future.
  12. If the bike is under warranty, then doing it yourself will void the warranty.

A friend of mine adjusted the chain on his new bike. Then later on when there was a problem with the rear axle/nut that would normally be fixed under warranty, he discovered he was up for the costs.