Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st Proper near miss!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by swaytan, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,

So I had my 1st proper near miss today. I was riding west on Salisbury Road in Camperdown today at about 1:30pm, when a lady in a white toyota camry decided she'd turn right from a side street in front of me. I was doing just under 50kph (50 speed limit) and grabbed the brakes with everything I had. Probably lucky my bike has ABS.

Even though I'm a noob at riding I think I'm pretty safe. She seemed to think the thing to do was to give me a mouthful, even though she was completely in the wrong. I love people!

2. So the ABS almost certainly saved you from going down.... What did you do wrong? What is wrong with that comment?
  3. Sorry I just meant even though I'm not very experienced as a rider, I'm an experienced car/bus/truck driver. I think that being a bus driver has made me a better rider, I look at the road differently now that I drive heavy vehicles.

Yup, think the ABS saved me this time! The extra $ turned out to be worth it!
  4. ABS is a fantastic advancement in motorcycle safety, but it is absolutely no substitute for correct braking procedure. It may be possible to actually decrease your braking distance by learning the correct order and technique of propper e-braking.

Well done on avoiding the accident, is there anything you might do differently next time?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I expect this will change... At some point you will think rather than those making you a better motorcycle rider, the motorcycling will make you a far better driver... Not to say you know nothing - if I was to take a guess, even as a highly experienced driver you will be surprised how different the perspective is from 2 wheels...

I have ABS. If it kicks in without me wanting it to, I don't view it as saving me - I view it as my failure as a rider. If it has kicked in, then ultimately I have failed as a rider in needing something else to help me. So then I go looking for where I failed - whether it be braking, positioning etc... After all is said and done, and I am sure it is 100% not my fault for something that happens - I still consider where I have failed to be in that situation in the first place. i.e. That driver would have done whatever bad thing it was regardless - but what could I have done to ensure it wasn't me, and they did it to someone else
    (not to say I want it to happen to someone else)?

I've found now that I am critical of myself or wondering what happened, if someone makes a lane change within a couple of hundred metres of me that I didn't expect - indicator or not. It becomes fun after a while. I'm certainly not the best at it and there are better out there at it - but it is all self survival in the end.
  6. Big call this one and nothing more than speculation!
    Saying something helped you without actually knowing will lead to a false sense of security..

Being a noob I doubt he'd have a clue if it was abs or not..
    Iv'e heard a few times from noobs how they say they braked so hard but in reality nowhere neer as hard as they will as they get experience.
    Can't seem to see if it was wet or not which would also make a difference to how much the abs may have helped....

All he knows is he made it this time so well done on that part of it..
    Remember practice EB as often as you can forget that you have it and let it kick in if it needs to not expect it to help in all situations..
  7. Yeah next time I'll kick their mirror off. lol, just kidding.

I'm not 100% sure. She really came out of that street without seeming to slow down at all. By the time I actually saw her she was half way into the lane next to me.

From here on in I guess I'll be more cautious riding in areas with a lot of streets with blind exits.
  8. Maybe - maybe not.... Either way, grabbing a big handful is never good - from the description given it basically read that a handful was taken and ABS went to work :p Usually ABS gives some limited feedback so you should know if it has kicked in or not.

I could be wrong...
  9. My viewpoint now that I have been riding is definitely changing. I don't see things in terms of "I may crash", I see things in terms of "I may go under a car" or "I may die".

There's something strangely appealing about having all the safety (of a car) taken away from you. It's all about you're ability to ride the motorcycle & read the road & conditions.

And to be honest, I'm kinda glad when I have near a near miss as it does make me think "what could/should/would I have done if". Whereas a near miss in a car just makes you think the other party is a douchebag.

It's just speculation, but I'm guessing those who have ridden for years without having even one near miss would not be the same level of rider as somebody who has had many.
  10. Thanks mate, will actually be heading out tomorrow to do some EB practice.
  11. Sorry Adprom but "Maybe - maybe not.... " is equal to speculating at best...

I would also expect it didn't kick in because you easily feel a jerkiness in your braking when it does and even more so if it was dry on a hard surface...
    Less jerking in a high end ABS system but you don't find these in most lower end bikes...

EDIT: just like to add ABS kicking in when it's dry or on gravel? EEEK! They all def need to come with an on/off switch, but that's been coverd in other threads :p ..
  12. Not really - from the OPs own account he said he grabbed a handful and it kicked in. Hardly speculation. I was giving you benefit of the doubt.

If he was doing more than 20kph and grabbed the brakes as hard as possible - almost certainly has kicked in. Never had an issue with ABS in the dry myself.

P.S. Just noticed he has a cb250r - uses same system as cb400. At less than 50 - it isn't always immediately obvious that it has kicked in. Yes it gives feedback - but not that violently. If you are concentrating on the situation - easy to miss the feedback.
  13. Yes....good...braking is often severely underdeveloped in newer riders. They do some hard braking in car parks, work up a bit of a swet, start to feel good about it, and head out thinking, I'm ready now, or that they've learnt it.

In fact...you will brake alot harder when you are about to hit something...:)

AND...Knowing how to stop in a sraight line, while good, does'nt come close to knowing your braking...
    For instance, A rider needs to be proficient at braking mid-corner, or while turning...on rough surfaces compared to smoothwet and dry, and have a sense of what the bike can handle.

It's not good to gather this by experience over time, because you may need one of these aspects of braking that you have'nt experienced - Tomorrow.

In parallel with your braking knowledge, you need to be developing your prowess at quick changes of direction, like swerving, or just shifting position in lanes.
    Mainly because we don't often get the luxury of time, to be able to just stop. Usually we have to Ebrake and change dorections at the same time, so we can avoid a hit or dive into one of those gaps you spotted a few seconds back.

Cars can usually stop alot quicker than bikes, so being able to swerve for avoidance is pretty much a prerequisite for your safety.

One also needs to learn to Estop from different speeds....stopping in a car park is nothing like trying to stop while doing 100k's in traffic.
    In fact...we should'nt even be calling it an 'emergency stop'...it presumes that you CAN stop, where usually we don't have the space, and sure as heck don't want the car behind us hitting his brakes too late. (quite possible)

We should think along the lines of slowing quickly to be able to swerve into the clear or dive up an escape route...It's NOT an E-Brake...it's an 'Emergency Avoidance".

Most of the time, cars HAVE to stop, as they cannot move out of their lane when surrounded by other cars...however...WE CAN! - AND SHOULD!.

Practice practice :)
    • Like Like x 3