Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st post, 1st project, 1st bike... much help needed! :-)

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Recon, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hey there everyone

Well I'm looking to join the ranks of motorbike riders everywhere and recently acquired my license at the ripe old age of 31 :)

Now my new wife is most definately against me getting a bike of any kind as she's convinced I'll kill myself on it! I though am looking for both a bike, and a project I can use to learn about bikes in general, as I currently have no mechanical or technical skills at all!

So I was hoping I could post here and ask for some advice before starting out on a project I have in mind...

I'd like to take one of these: (a honda VLX400 Steed)

and Bobber it to something like this:

So, what I'd like to know is the following:

- How much work is involved? Is it as simple as taking off the back end, fitting a bobber seat and fitting a rear fender? (ignoring the cosmetic changes at the front end like the apehangers etc)

- Where is a good place to get the required parts from? Are there good custom part places here in Melbourne, or should I be looking at the US etc.

- I'm looking to do this on a budget - how can i save money?

- is this a good first project, ie im hoping not too much mechanical work, but lots of cosmetic changes so it can be a work in progress over a long term as funds become available for bling and paintjobs etc...

Thanks all for your help, any advice much appreciated!