Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st Learner Biker Dilema!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by vupham, Jul 19, 2010.

1. I am having a delima atm with my 1st bike.......
    I originally decided to go for the VTR250 as everyone suggested for 1st bike, but after thinking and reading for a while, they can be found for $4-5k mark with fairly high km average around 20k-30k+ km so they seems to be abit old and might get bored looking at it after a while like my gf. Im abit nervous about repairs and maintenance most likely it will cost more money at the end.

I then decided of getting the kawasaki ninja250r, they abit more pricey being $5-6k but fairly new 2008+ with average 5k-15k km average, in the long run it might work out as cheap as the VTR250 in the first place, their resale value as good and looks good.

Now I am thinking of just getting the honda cbr125......I know most riders are agaisnt the cbr125 being weak. Most riders have said you most likely to drop or crash so with the vtr250 and ninja, both goiing to cost $$$ to fix and maybe lose more value. So the cbr125 is 1/2 the price of the ninja250r and vtr250, if i drop or crash the cbr125, I might not feel as hurt if i drop the ninja or vtr since repair might be the same or cheaper on the cbr125, but when i sell it the value is still the same. Another thing is being the 1st bike, it will get sold when i get confident and bored and want to upgrade, I will be riding on normal street most of the time to work, doubt i will hit the freeway because i can use my car if i need to go somewhere far.

So u guys think I should just stick with the crb125r, it be mostly to improve my skills and confident, commute to work daily on normal roads? I dont mind getting the ninja then I can keep it and properly dont need to upgrade but just feel alot more painful if i drop the ninja instead of the cbr125. Thanks for any tips and info and suggestions!

2. What about something like a GS500? You can get decent ones for <$5k. I did ;). My first bike & I love it! Very easy to ride & parts are easy to source.

Worth a thought.

3. I think you are underestimating how weak and slow the cbr125 is. You'll get sick of it really really quickly. GS500 is a winner.

4. good for you!.. nothing beats a good cleansing candlelit herbal enema.
    what, no, that's just a baby, got a good 30 odd years left in it... how long you planning on being a learner.

5. I don't think 25-30k on the odo of a VTR250 would be a concern at all, great little bikes. If you're a bigger person like myself the GS500 might be a better choice, but i think that the VTR is the better looking/handling option.

6. I had a cbr125 and it was a fun little bike. But, you are likely to drop it and the fairings on those little things are made of a pretty light plastic. The attachment points snap if you look at them crookedly. On the bright side, the fairings are comparatively cheap. You'd have the same problem with the little 250 Ninja, and I have a feeling that the fairings are more expensive.

But if you went for a VTR250 or a GS500 you wouldn't have fairings to bother about. Get some oggy knobs and even if you do drop it all you'll be looking at is maybe a new indicator and a lever. If you are worried about 20,000 km on a bike I can tell you right now that it is nothing. There are people who are still riding around on the Spada, which was the bike Honda made before the VTR250. I'm inclined to suggest the VTR250 over the GS500 because it is smaller and lighter. If you are at all nervous, it will be more comfortable to have a light bike that you can hold up more easily. That said, the GS500 is a great bike and would definitely suit you better if you are a bit taller and don't mind having a slightly heavier bike.

7. VTR250 are nice little bikes, and look a bit like a smaller version of a naked Ducati with their v-twin engine and trellis frame. Unburstable engine and decent fun factor.

GS500 is a winner as mentioned above. Traces its lineage back to the GS450 from the 1970's - its reliable and solid as hell. Good for a learner bike and will let you do almost anything with it - commute, tour a bit, thrash through twisties. Most importantly? Learn to ride a decent bike.

125? Can you say 'rebadged Taiwanese scooter'? I don't like tham and not many here do, as they are gutless bits of crud that attract newby buyers due to their looks, low price, and familiar feel (bicycle). I would not recommend one to a first timer, as they are very underpowered and will leave you with a bike not many people would want to buy. You will also be over the power very, very quickly.

Cheers - boingk

8. no complaints with the GS500 here.
    I've used it for commuting, twisties and touring like my recent trip melb-syd via Hume and returning via coast and it was flawless. I'm 5ft 10 and 85kg with no issues in handling or controlling it at all.
    Other thing is if you pick one up second hand, you should do very well with resell after restrictions should you upgrade as you'll still get a good price for it.
    Plenty of choices so good luck with whichever bike you choose..

9. Buy my VTR250, its in the for sale section! :)
    Seriously though, their great, and you'd be hard pressed to damage it in a stationary drop, the handlebars would hit the ground first... Especially if you had frame sliders (which mine does). If I had to do my entire learners/P's again i wouldnt do it any differently, i would get a VTR all over again.

10. VTR250 is the minimum you should be considering IMO. Also, as above, don't stress over the ks on the clock, the one I have parked here at the moment has almost 50k on it and it's running brilliantly.

Personally, I'd go something bigger, probably the GS500 or the CB400 if the finances allow because either

1 - Will serve you better. You say your not going to go on the freeway, but I'd bet you will, it's going to come up sooner or later. Even around town they're going to hav more puff and not be working their heads off.

2 - Will serve you longer. If you go the 125 your going to want to upgrade at some stage late next week.

3 - Will cost less on things like repairs if you drop it and insurance because they're naked (less than an equal faired bike anyway, maybe still more than a 125).

11. I'm with everyone here, GS500 would have to be the pick. I had one and thought it was great, easy in all area's from riding to teaching you how to do basic maintenance. Basically a real good introduction to motorcycling.

Not to say the others are bad choices though, in fact if you are real small in stature or lacking a lot in the way of confidence, these smaller ones can help you overcome issues that may be playing in your mind. Whatever you choose start with something you enjoy and feel comfortable on. So what if it costs you a little more in the long run or you end up looking to upgrade whilst on your L's/P's, buying bikes is fun.

12. Have you considered a CBR250RR? Light, fast and extremely reliable and easy to mainatain. Did I mention that mines for sale???? Hehehehehe.
    Good luck with whatever you purchase and take it easy out there.

13. Thanks for all the great info and suggestions guys, being never ride a proper motocycle before 500cc is really making me nervous with such power. The only time i have ride a motor cycle was when I was in vietnam for holiday and ride a honda dream scooter, i think they were 50cc manual but without a clutch, only managed to go 40-50km max hehe

Anyways so i will definately put the cbr125 away from my head. The VTR was originally my 1st choice, didnt mind the look. Its assuring that 20-30k km on a vtr is still young. I personally like the looks of the ninja more so does my fiance and she plays a part of my decision to buy a bike. So insurance for me properly wont be too expensive since I am 25+ with open man licence, are the fairs expensive to replace for the ninja? Assuming I will drop it or crash it one or twice, is there a big gap on prices to repair the ninja compare to the vtr250? Another word is, is it much more expensive to own the ninja for a learner than a vtr250? at the end of the day I wanna enjoy looking at my bike, i dont mind paying abit more if the unnecessary do occur.
    I am 172cm, i tried sitting on both ninja and vtr before, i can easily put both my feet flat and both are easy to manage. Ninja is abit heavier at the handle maybe because its faired.

So now it comes down to those two choices, both are good learners bike for me and personally I am leaning towards ninja. Keep the info's and suggestion on both specially on costs such as insurance, repairs and parts. I might change my mind if i find the ninja cost 50% more than the vtr250. Sorry for the long messy post :)

14. Drop a Ninja, crack the fairing, snap a gear lever, bend the bars, etc etc

VTR250, just the lever/bars..

Mate of mine had a stationary drop with a VTR walked away with some scuffing of the bar ends.. Thats all. VTR250 cost me 190 a year full comp insurance.

Less shit to break.

15. Any fairings will cost a lot to replace if you get original manufacturers items, but a whole set would probably only cost you five to seven hundred dollars if you got aftermarket gear... which is also available in neato colour schemes.

Keep in mind that you can ride a bike with a scratched fairing, and that it *will* be nice behind the fairing on cold or wet days. On the flipside, a nakedbike doesn't have a fairing to worry about, will be better to ride in hot weather (IMO) and you can always fit an aftermarket screen to keep some wind/rain off you.

Cheers - boingk

16. Don't assume you'll drop it. Not everyone does. Take your time learning and you'll be OK. Get a decent 250 and learn how to ride the tits off it. You didn't mention the GPX250. Not as popular as some 250's so you can get a low km one for reasonable price.

17. Hi MAte

went through the same process myself. Also went through the "buy a POS" or "buy something you want to ride" phase.

There is alot of posts about the CBR125rr being the wrong choice. Fun, nimble, underpowered, and sounds like mums coffee grinder are all things I have seen written about them - decided against one.

I had decided on the VTR250 but then had a "buy something I want to ride" moment and bouhgt an old Ducati Pantah 500 :)

I am riding my sons Vt250 custom at the moment and really like it, good around town, not too heavy on the clutch, and not to bad out touring through the hills.

Good luck in your choice but as one rider said to me, it might be your first bike, but ti wont be your last so if you pick the wrong one - no big deal.

Happy riding.

18. Yeh I didnt mind the GPX250 but I decided the vtr250 would be better since i didnt mind the extra cost of the vtr250. Then when I was at the bike shop browsing, ninja pop up and sat on it, liked it then the dilema came. Both ninja and vtr are similar cost, ninja maybe $500 extra but lower k's and new year. So basically came down to cost if I have to fix one of them for crashes or drop. Then CBR125 came up since they can be bought for 2-3k, heck I didnt care if i drop it or crash it, i just ride it till it completely dies on me or till i get my experience and sell it if it is still in one piece. But I dont drop it, even better but like most people have said, its too weak and it might drive me nuts...

So ninja is my choice atm, willing to pay extra money if i need to fix it. If i manage not to drop it, extra bonus i guess. VTR250 might be a better bike but at the end of the day I might get bored of the looks, I will enjoy looking at the ninja and wont be bored of it. I wont be changing bike for a while though even if I am rdy for a bigger bike thats why ninja is a better choice. After my wedding, honey moon, buy a suv with wife, save for house........then i am rdy to upgrade to a real man's bike :D

BTW, how much is bike insurance excess for comprehensive if u need to claim? I might as well claim if repairs are $700+ yeh? What are a good insurance company to insure bikes? I just did a quote with aami on 2008 ninja250r comprhensve, got my licence in 2010 = $2100 pa lol *faint*
    I remembered I tried insure my ride, quoted something like $500..

19. Give RACV a go for insurance. I'm sure your age (??) has alot to do with insurance being so high but give them a go.

20. Keep in mind that faired bikes are more expensive to insure than naked bikes.

RE: claiming if the cost of repair is greater than the excess fee. In case of a simple drop, I think they'd count it as an at-fault claim [?], and so your premiums would probably go up. Not sure if it'd be worth it in this sort of situation.