Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st gear

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by jecaspa, Jun 17, 2007.

1. hey guys while i was riding today i found that when the bike is in first when i would take off sometimes it would clunk into first once rolling it ahappened a couple of times and at a car park i'm not sure i think i put it into gear (i know sounds stupid, was paniking a bit) but i reved it and it clunked again if it was in netureal is it possible for it to go into first by itself if so can it do damage? :shock: i'm just worried i'm gonna break somthin its a 07 vtr250???
    any help of advice would be great!! thanks

2. This is not normal. Are you sure it was in netural? Get it looked at would be my advice.

3. Sometimes this can happen if you haven't pushed teh lever firmly enough, or have put it into gear from neutral whilst sitting with the clutch in for a bit. I am not sure of the details, but I believe the dog clutch doesn't engage the gear completely, and when you load up the gear, it pops out.
    My suggestion would be to make sure you bottom out the shift lever when selecting first and let it come back to its rest position, and let the clutch out in neutral, then clutch in and select first whilst the gears are still spinning a little.
    You have to be positive and firm with the shift lever, move it it's entire travel and let it back to it's rest position. Sometimes I don't let the shift lever come back to rest, and teh shift drum in the gearbox won't let me select the next gear till I let the lever go back to rest position, due to the way the drum is designed. Sometimes it will even give me a false neutral if I am really sleepy!
    Give it a go. Might not be your problem, but might work too.

Regards, Andrew.

4. Usually this can be a problem when you don't have the lever adjusted properly and your foot cant move far enough to fully engage. At a guess it might be a bit too low, try raising it a little and see if it goes away.

For example my cbr was previously owned by a short person, i jump on it and because my legs are longer my feet are angled down a bit more, and i couldn't kick it up gears quite high enough giving me plenty of false neutrals. I dropped it down about an inch and the problem went away.

Have fun.

5. +1 to the above.

Also, I'm told the VTR250 is known for being touchy (mine is).

It helps to go down through the gears one at a time. Clicking down through multiple gears at once without use of the clutch can cause a problem in that it won't go into first.

Should this happen, you can rectify the problem by easing out the clutch with a little downward pressure on the shift lever to help it engage (not always necessary).

You won't damage anything but your pride if you start stalling all the time. Make it a point to count gears, or run this check, and it'll become second nature.