Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st bike shopping? Sumoto & co complianced 250's explain

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ricardo, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Hello fellow newbies! Back when I was getting my L's and wondering what sorta bike to get (all the way back in Jan '06 :) ) I came across a few places selling "complianced" bikes e.g. Sumoto, Recycled Motorcycles etc. Judging from the conversation on my learner's course, everyone else found them too and some were keen to go shopping.

What I couldn't figure out was why these guys had so many more 250's than most other places? What did "complianced" mean? And how come they've got "2005" bikes when those models weren't being made any more?

Some poking around on Google and Netrider forums turned up lotsa references but no real clear, complete explanation. Now overclockers.com.au has come the the rescue with IK's Grey Import FAQ

Read it? Cool. I'm not making any judgements here - I just think it's important to know what the go is so you can make an informed decision. I get the impression some dealers (like maybe Sumoto) might not be as up front as they could be :shock: On the other hand, one of my instructors reckoned Recycled Motorcycles are a good mob. I guess it's the same as any secondhand purchase - just make sure you're happy it's a fair price for what you're getting.

Enjoy your shopping and see you out there.

PS if you're looking for gear too, try BikeMart in Ringwood - real friendly and helpful :grin:
  2. Yeah, I wish there was some law against what they do but unfortunatly they aren't doing anything wrong.

They blatently market the compliance date trying to trick people into thinking it is the manufacture date so people buy them... It is so dodgy but there is nothing we can do but warn people.....

I think slowly people are getting the idea that sumoto are con artists and soon they will have such minimal buisness....
  3. The only thing Sumoto are good for is using them as a price refrence when you're trying to sell your bike.

Sumoto's is selling ZXR250's for $7000+, so I show that to people when I want the best price for mine.
  4. When I was buying my bike I went out to Sumoto to take a look and this is what I found out,
    i) most if not all the bikes are grey import
    ii) most were much older than the compliance date, some had dates of 2004 but were actually manufactured in 1989 (yes 15 years earlier to the compliance date)
    iii) most had high kilometres on them (50-60KKm+)
    iv) there was of course no history
    v) there is possibly a problem with some grey imports, including parts availability and qualified mechs to carry out servicing and repairs
    vi) Bikes were being offered in colours of your choice as part of the purchase price (in other words, they could be made to look as though they were this years bikes etc)
    vii) Most were extremely overpriced

Despite what's outlined above, that's not to say you can't get a good bike, thats a bargain if you know what to look for. At the time, I didn't know what to look for, so I steered clear in the end.
  5. take care out there and that is both the road and the Sumoto place as well.

I bought a bike last week - I got it privatly great bike a cruiser hyosung have lots of fun trying to explain to people it a korean bike- but I digress.

One phone call to Sumoto and I realised these guys where sharks!! They prey on the un suspecting young L guys with the promise of new compliance bikes and for the un prepared it's easy to think they are new bikes.

Being a sales director it did not take me long to work out what they where up to so I was quick to move on.

You get your L's and it's a very exciting time and you are keen as anything like getting your first .......!! :) but slow down and take your time.

My advise is work out what bike you really like. Then begin the research on performace / price repairs etc. Compare as many as you can and then make the decision to buy based on budget.

Sumoto suck any place that will not let you test there product is hiding something especially when they try to close the deal over the phone!!! Buyer beware.!!!

all the best

6. That's the thing that gets me. Most new L platers aren't going to know what's going on so they're open to explotation by unscrupulous dealers. If you're buying a 15 year old bike you should know it and make an informed choice (and probably not pay $7000 :shock: ). Specially since a recomplianced bike doesn't guarantee anything mechanically and there's no statutory warranty on used bikes so you really want to buy from somewhere reputable and know what you're getting.
  7. Some

Agree totally. Steer clear if you can.
    Best bet if you are buying a first bike, is to take someone who knows
    bikes with you.. In the case of CBR250RR's, buy an Australian Delivery if you can, an original one - you can still pick them up.
    Have a look at the original painwork on the beasts, you can usually tell the
    ones that have been imported through a dealer like Sumoto by the fancy
    after market or newer colours. Make sure you check the actual year of the bike, I think CRB250s were stopped in around 99, so anything advertised as newer than that is recomplianced.
  8. Funny thing about Sumoto.
    Wait for it.........

The owners name actually is CON! :LOL:
    No joke! :LOL:
  9. There's nothing wrong with Grey Imports as such.

My wife's first bike was a 1990 Suzuki Across. First complianced in 2002 in Australia.

It was an absolute gem! Fantastic condition, and rode beautifully.

In the few years we owned it, we had no problems whatsoever and it brings back many fond memories for us.

We couldn't be happier with the purchasing decision we made back then.

We just sold it to a girl who just got her learners. We marketed it as a 1990 Across, and made it clear it was an import, with 2002 simply being the year it was first registered here.

The purchaser has bought a great bike, and I'm sure she'll have many happy kilometres riding it.

So, yeah - you can get some great imported bikes. They're certainly a worthwhile consideration.

Having said that, buyers obviously need to be aware of what they're buying, and some dealers implying that they're new (based on compliance date) are certainly shonky and should be dealt with very carefully.

10. Absolutely Eberbachl, there are obviously exceptions, I guess like you say, as long as you are aware of what you are purchasing and go over it like you would any other bike then theres no reason you can't pick up a good one that suits your needs perfectly. Just be smart about it and do your homework. :)

Thats when it would be best to take someone knowledgeable with you if it is your first bike. Just don't be mislead by dealiers into thinking you are buying a newer bike.