Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st bike... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by spoonta, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Hey all,

Yes I know there are sooooooooo many posts about what to get as a first bike.

Prob is, they're all quite old posts, and not many has actually got a solid conclusion?

I am currently thinking of the following, let me know your thoughts?

Yeah, they all seem expensive... i think so too...
    but i wanted something with ABS (make me feel safer), a fuel gauge (which it's a personal preference), and something that I can be content with for a while and keep for a bit?

Honda CB400 ABS
    Kawasaki ER-6nL ABS
    Kawasaki Ninja 650RL ABS
    Suzuki GSX650F (no abs :( )

I'm open to anything, so please let me know other suggestions?
    To be honest, the cheaper the better, if only those company can get their act together to make a sensible cheap bike~ :)

Let me know your thoughts folks!

2. If I could get any of those I would get the CB as it's lighter. It's a bit pricey but the rest are about the same IIRC.

You need to put your height, weight, budget and where you will be riding for personal answers.
  3. 175cm
    mainly eastern suburb and city riding for work purpose.
    or maybe some weekends?

forgive me for asking something that i'm sure is a dumb question....
    what's IIRC?
  4. Yep cb400 then.

IIRC - http://www.internetslang.com/IIRC-meaning-definition.asp
  5. if you want a cheap sensible bike that will last a while look at a second hand GS50 (or gs500f if you like faired bikes). Tons of torque, cheap and easy to maintain, bulletproof, and excellent on fuel. I have one for my first bike and love it. best bang for your buck newish larger capacity learner bike IMO (i know there are faster bikes with FI etc, but you pay for it, and whats the point if you will likely only keep it for 1 or 2 years).
  6. Test ride them all, and buy the one you fall in love with. Life's too short to learn to ride on a bike you don't 'connect with'.
  7. indeed, go sit on them all... see what feels the most comfy. Then pick up the cheapest, battered 2nd hand version of them you can find that's still in ok mechanical condition as you're gonna drop it more than likely. So why drop something new. But that's my opinion hehe
  8. Near new second hand CB400. You probably will drop it, so naked is a good idea. Plus you'll save heaps buying second hand. something a couple of years old. Save those bucks for the next bike. The REAL one.
  9. All the suggestions seem sound. But go with your personal choice. What appeals to you most and what feels right. And yes, buy a second-hand bike.
    Have you dimissed the VTR250 as too small?
  10. Fuel gauges on bikes are over rated. Use the odometer, fill up after x amount of kays (once you know an approximate number of kays you can do to a tank) and bam your fine. My bike has no fuel gauge and i never use the reserve setting on the fuel pump. Ive only ran out of petrol once when i mistakenly didnt fill it properly and so it ran out sooner then expected.

ABS on bikes is not that important either, much better that you become a better rider with better braking skills then rely on a computer to do it for you. if this is too much for you then you shouldn't be riding. Get ABS on your next bike after you have developed the skills you need to be a safe rider.

I would avoid a throttle restricted bike, you never get to experiance all that you have paid for, get one with no restrictor, and if your light (under 75kg) get a 4cyl 250.
  11. CB400 ABS for the win
  12. now comes the question, anyone know where I can find a good 2nd hand dealeR?
    or best to look at bikesales.com.au?
  13. IMO, go for bikesales. And do your research - such as reading the entire CB400 thread (150-odd pages) if that's what you've settled on. Even if you buy a bike less than 2 years old you should still have the security of a bit of warranty. Also, some bikes that you are looking at will be one-owner only and so you can get a feeling of how the bike has been treated. Sure, buying from a dealer has its guarantees but you might not know the full history of the bike. Nothing like talking to the bike owner.
    Anyway, just my 2c. Good luck.
  14. Fwiw, I find the fuel gauge on the cb400 pretty accurate as to when there is 3.5-4L left. In fact, reasonably accurate whole way through the range.

Lets hit this on the head now. ABS does not affect day to day riding, or stop you using proper braking method. It does not replace skills.

ABS is there for exactly the situation where the rider has run out of skills, as can happen with a new rider, or the braking capability has been exceeded of the bike. A new rider is exactly who it would benefit.

It isn't mutually exclusive to skills and as per the cb400 thread, a vast majority of the riders who have experienced it, would recommend it.

That isn't to say it is ideal, and there is a litany of other ABS arguments out there, mainly focused around the already very finely trained rider. However in my experience, arguing against ABS on the basis that you just don't learn how to brake properly is false. Besides, you rely on braking skills for every day braking anyway, when the ABS never kicks in. It isn't like the ABS is there braking for you all the time.

Each rider has to decide whether ABS is for them, but the "macho" stance of "don't rely on a computer to do your braking" is bollocks, because there is no part of having ABS that is relying on a computer in day to day riding. It simply gives the rider a little piece of mind that if they do stuff up and grab a handful, or brake too hard for any reason in a straight line, ABS is there to assist in keeping them upright. If it does kick in, and you know when it does, it is also a nice little warning that you have hit your limits, often without the expense of fixing a bike up.

There are a bunch of pro and con ABS arguments out there, but my personal opinion was that it suited me, my riding and where I ride. I also feel that it is something that a lot of new riders can benefit from. There are differing opinions on this, NR as much as anywhere else so the safe bet is to look at the facts on it, and figure out whether it can work for you individually. Hopefully that is a safe conclusion that will stop any of the past religious debates on ABS recurring. My comments above have been in relation to my own experience of ABS on the cb400 - and I have ridden without ABS on a cb400 too.

I believe the ABS model may also be cheaper to insure. Worth checking on that though.
  15. Hiiii spoonta \\:D/

second most boring bike in the known universe. ABS for extra dull, can't even do skids now. probably fall asleep on it.

well that's a girls bike,... and yet somehow they managed to make it even more girly by restricting the engine

well at least it's a ninja. better to be a ninja than a pirate. even if it is a weak as piss ninja, still gonna blow of fags on Harleys. no wait ...that's not quite what i meant 8-[

probably my pick, modern bike, good value, roomy and comfy, could tour on it. and room for luggage. but a bike you don't want to push beyond it's limmits.
  16. thanks guys!
    tough choices, even tougher to find a good one!
  17. anyone know good 2nd hand bike stores around Sydney??
  18. why is there no Yamaha on this list :(