Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1st Annual Netrider Grammar-thon-a-thon

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by fekkinell, Oct 21, 2009.

1. In light of an issue Smee raised in another thread, I thought I might just host the 1st Annual Netrider Grammar-thon-a-thon.

In this thread we discuss the finer points of language and grammar.

Feel free to vent your grievances about spelling, grammar and other linguistic curiousities that have arisen in the midst of our friendly banter.

I know that we are a bunch of good people from a range of backgrounds, however let this be a happy thread where we discuss the finer points of language without fear of conviction.

For example, the subtle differences between there and their, whether and weather, and I almost dare not mention brake and break.

Go forth fellow Netriders and enunciate.

:beer:

2. a feather is light therefore it is not something which is dark. Do you agree?

3. No. Sentences do start with a capital though. :p

4. I got a new front tire last week. rides beautifully

lets start comparing penis size: I came third bottom in my year of 160 in engrish. Its pretty sad when your honestly trying and people who arent trying beat you.

5. The proper use of "however":

(1) However, you cannot go to the store with Kevin.

(2) You, however, cannot go to the store with Kevin.

(3) I'm going to the store with Kevin; however, you cannot come with us

take that, however.

6. ass- donkey
    arse - your backside
    tire- what you do when you go for a run
    tyre- is what you put on your wheels
    suv - a stupid american term
    4wd- what an suv is supposed to be called in Australia

7. I somehow feel responsible for this.

8. You lose weight, not loose weight.

Whilst we are venting grievances ......

Does anyone else find spell-checkers without a "UK English" option intensely irritating?

9. Prolly, ur, misappropriation of the apostrophe, misunderstanding of the concept of plural v singular when refering to entities. eg, TAC are going to charge more for cover. TAC is a single entity, so "are" should be replaced with "is".

Calling a group of letters an acronym. eg. The ABC or ABS are not acronyms. They are not pronouncable words. An acronym is a pronouncable word, such as these; TAC, ESP or RADAR.

Other annoyances; using ect instead of etc. (et cetera, Latin for "and so on") and generally using SMS-speak in forums where the need for abbreviated text is not required.

10. **** you all.

:grin:

11. Good on yez.
    Tha English langwage is a sacred thing, wot wif the Americanisayshun of our media and stuff, that there correct spelling and grammer is important to be hanged on to.

12. I would suggest that there is more INcorrect use of the English language in our country today, than there is correct use. I was going to pose some examples, but I have to step out for a moment to buy some pizza's.

13. Brownyy always gets upset whenever abbreviations get mentioned.

Is everyone in 'agreeance' (my pet non-word)

14. Smee and Hornet seem to hold me up the most for my spelling efforts, that I have noticed anyway. Although others have pointed things out, and about 80% of my post edits are spwelling ( <- intended).

I'm still in question about tyres and tires. I've seen too many corrections of that one, now I don't know which one is correct.

15. Simply, tires is the current American spelling, and tyres is the English spelling, as we have inherited it from our English foundations. Tires is increasingly accepted because of the increasing Americanisation of our language (the Yanks would say Americanization, as does the Microsoft Word spell checker), through film, television and advertising.

This is not infallible, but Wikipedia starts its listing on this basis; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire

Of greater concern to me is the increasing failure to observe the need to keep the adjectival phrase next to the noun it describes. Listen for hunderds of examples per day in all sorts of media of this scenario; "Table wanted by woman with turned legs".

Of course it SHOULD say, "Table with turned legs wanted by woman", which makes sense even if it is a little inelegant.

The real problem is that as long as the overall meaning is conveyed, people will say, "Well, why do the niceties of grammar matter; he knew what I meant?"

HEARD IT ON TV JUST NOW: "A school is banning Primary School children from going to parties in Adelaide."

Of course it should have been: "A school in Adeliade is banning Primary School children from going to parties."

With the previous mangled English, the school could be anywhere and the ban could be on any school, anywhere, with the subject of the ban any party in Adelaide.

See my point?

16. well, I certainly wouldn't want my primary school aged children to go to a party in Adelaide - it's way to far

17. or even way TOO far :p

18. However you choose to use 'however' you must remember that it is not a coordinating conjunction. It may, however, be used to mean 'in whichever manner'.

I also heard some atrocious new phrases this morning at a promotional seminar, the most nausea-inducing of which was 'onboarding', from the verb 'to onboard'. I think it means 'to bring someone into a group or organisation', but it may also mean to force them onto a train or tram. Context is everything.

19. honistly, i think youse guise get gooder with this, And you shood prolly take it as far and youse can go. we are all, In agreeance. witch is a grate thing

so Whats the pryze?!?

(We have to expand this to spelling, and I feel for the person who makes a major boo-boo in this thread... Especially if they're chastising someone else! :LOL:)

20. I have a few interesting linguistic anomalies that intrigue me. (Yep my spelling is shocking so not going to get into basic spelling issues)
    The first is “Anyways”. The word Anyway is a plural, so what is the value in adding an “S” at the end? It sounds stupid, it has no value and it takes more to write.

The second (which I have encountered recently) is “Learnings”. I had initially heard it from our Indian staff and put it down to one of those cultural anomalies (Like Italians talking about “shutting the light”), until yesterday when the word was used by a relatively highly positioned executive of our client (Who is a late 40’s Anglo)