Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1999 R6 Misfiring

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by R66, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Hey All

I have had a search and cannot find any info on my problem!
    In the past couple of weeks my R6 has started misfiring and/or running on 3 cylinders(??)!! Most of the time it happens when first started and lasts 10-15min, then clears itself, but seems to be getter worse as it takes longer and sometimes does not clear at all!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Fouled plug/broken lead

Flooding with choke on....
  3. The fact that it is clearing would suggest rich fuel. Is the bike FI. If not then the carbies need a clean.

If it is FI, then I'd say you are fouling a plug, whilst the bike is choking. New plugs may help though you may have to go to a hotter plug in winter.

Has the bike got an after market pipe/filter. If so, it may need to be tuned to suit the pipe
  4. Thanks for the advice

Its got carbies and yes does have an aftermarket air filter and box, found this out after buying it! i have actually booked it in to a dyno next week but wanted it running prop before hand as its quite $$$ for a dyno, rather them spending time tuning rather then fixing!!

I have had it looked at by yamaha (where i bought it from) and they cldnt really find the prob!! it was running better after they looked at it but not 100% (has gotten worse since) They were the ones who told me about the filter, also has a full exhaust system (head to tip) adn the carbies have supposdly had some kit thorough them??? They didnt tell me all this until after buying it!! oh well, hopefully the dyno will sought it out!
  5. Run a tank of petrol though with carby cleaner in it. This may stop any float needle sticks.

Get a clean tank of petrol for the dyno tuning, as the carbie cleaner may throw out the settings.

Carby kits are hit and miss. They are mainly made for the US market and their carbies can be set up quite differently then ours. Some bikes it's fine. Many not.
  6. Thanks for the info, hadnt thought of carbie cleaner and yes def a fresh tank of fuel for the dyno!