Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1998 R1 with 70,000ks would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by karl2ltgc, Jan 30, 2008.

1. As the title states, considering a R1 but its pretty damn high ks. Its just had new chain and front rotors/pads an its pretty neat, been resprayed and its the red and white one with aftermarket white wheels. Has oggy knobs and a aftermarket exhaust too.

I'm buying it to basically commute to an from the city a few times a week to uni and occasional weekend run up the hills.Will probably clock about 300ks a week on it. I like my across but its a bit ordinary on the freeway.

So what should i be looking out for? Or should i just not buy it? Whats another motor worth if it fails?

Would probably keep the bike for 3ish years maybe longer.

Any help/flames appreciated
    Cheers Karl
  2. Karl, 10years old, so 7 thousand kays per year, that is pretty low compared to what I do and many people I know. If there is no history, it would want to be pretty cheap. With history and a good check over by mechanic you should be OK, but be prepared for some issues to crop up from time to time.
  3. All depends on the price.
    300k per week over 3 yrs is almost 47,000k. If the bike is not fresh now it wont be in 3 yrs.
    If its cheap enough now to allow you to throw money at brakes and suspension when required it could be a good buy. If it has a service history the engine and gearbox should be still ok.

Can you get something newer for the same money?
    It's line ball for me.
  4. I might if it was cheap. But I wouldn't expect it to be hassle free doing 300 kms a week.
  5. The R1 motors are pretty bullet-proof if they haven't been abused. Abused doesn't mean being revved hard - they're made for that. Abused means not serviced correctly and regularly, and/or stunted/wheelied excessively and up-shifting without the clutch.

Anything up to 200,000kms should be fine with the motor. It'll last for longer than that, but then then it might need a fairly major overhaul to freshen it up.

The things to really watch out for is a worn 2nd gear (typical from wheelie abuse), worn steering head stem bearings (wheelie abuse), and worn wheel bearings.

The suspension oil will need to be changed. This is no biggie on the front. The rear shock will be getting a bit tired as well, and will require ~$500 to freshen it up, the main problem here being that the stock rear shock contains some non-servicable items that need to be replaced if it's opened up. Alternately, look for a decent second-hand aftermarket unit that's servicable, and get that serviced and install it.

High k's on a sports bike like this is fine, just so long as it's been looked after. The motor is powerful, but also quite relaxed on the pre-2004 R1's, and I know of at least one getting about with >160,000kms on it, and it's running just fine.

I'd buy it, but for no more than around $7000, depending on the after-market kit on it. If it's pretty much stock, no more than $6000, tops. Also, that's dependent on the condition that it's in.
  6. I've never heard of any inherent flaws with that bike, but at 70k, it's in the lap of the gods. I'd make sure it hasn't been raced or a track bike though.

An R1 doesn't sound like the best option for your intended riding...but hey...whatever floats your boat. :cool:
  7. The older R1's are actually quite comfortable commuters. They get rather hot in summer though in stop-start traffic, but I found mine to be okay for getting around town on so long as it was 30C or less. Seating position was fine. The grunty motor makes them great for the traffic light grand-prix.
  8. Nah, I'd steer clear. Even if it by some miracle escaped the abuse 90% of R1s go through and turned out to be a half decent ride, you'll never sell it with over 100k on the clock.
  9. +1 They will last almost forever if looked after, they will grenade at 30,000km if abused, i.e if not serviced, fast riding on cold engine, wheelies, etc...

If it were in great condition both cosmetically and mechanically I might look at around $6k for it. AVOID if smoke from the exhaust, AVOID if anything slightly-less-than-perfect in the gearbox, and consider that you'll be less comfortable and pay a fortune in insurance compared with, say, a nakedbike.

Gearbox trouble would cost minimum of $1500 to open up and replace a few small things, maybe up to $3500 for major work.

Engine trouble cost would depend what is wrong.

Remember to add up the cost of tyres, chain/sprockets, and brake pads if it needs them. That's $1000 right there.
    Brake disks would be another $500 and quite likely to need them.
    How long since the last service? There's up to $500.
    So consider what kind of bike you could buy for another $2000.

Don't expect to be able to sell it for much with 100,000km on it.
  10. When my '98 R1 was stolen it had done 56 thou and it was still like new, go for it, most R1's have been pampered on the street, pretty hard to thrash 150 hp on the street I reckon. Keep it forever or slap another speedo on it if you want to sell it. I'd say you could get a clean R1 for under $6K
  11. Thanks for all the excellent replies!

Looks like i might go check it out, if its good an i like the ride then il likely buy it.

I know there are MUCH better bikes to commute on, but thats damn boring!
  12. 70k - if it were a car. yes. A bike? no.

Just think about all the things that r1 has been through the last 10 years. Oh, the thrashing, the pain.

Buy it if you have budgeted in the possible cost of new engine, forks, trans, brake rotors, sproket sets ect... Then see if it is still worth the price. It might still be worth it
  13. Man its a motorbike not a bus, a 1000ml engine pushing ~250kg for around for 10 years is nothing, 70,000 kms is nothing either, people talk all that rubbish to sell new bikes. Do you think anybody would spend $20,000 on a road/race bike if it could only last 70,000 km, If its been raced for most its life your right its another story... but as a commuter youl get around 300,000 kms before you should rip apart and rebuild and get random hard to fix problems and still thats if it hasnt been maintained properly coming from the mouth of my mate who has been working with them for over 12 years

Take a cbr250rr for your example. some of them have around 300,000 and still running strong after being under god knows how many young Valentino Rossi fans.... and thats only a 250ML engine.
  14. It amuses me that so many riders or wanna bee riders think something as paltry as 70k is high klms. You guys need to explore the world more where riders only start to think high miles at 200k miles not klms. A 1000cc + bike is not a scooter, generally the motors are tough as nails, simple check over should make it clear if its been looked after.

Now IF it had 70,000 klms showing but only went to 99,999 before spinning over now thats a worry unless you could get proof it was not 170,000
  15. I'm more concerned about you going from an Across to an R1.....

Good way to become a statistic.

That mutha will kill you if you don't know how to play.

Why does every young motorcyclist I meet want an R1???? Motorcycling seems to have become nothing more than an image to some young guys.

get yourself something like an SV650.... you'll find one with less miles for the same money and I can almost guarantee you'll be faster on it than the R1 in almost every situation. R1's are for boys who know how to play...
  16. i wouldn't get it! simply cus i don't like them. :p

you mention you go to uni.

do yourself a favour and maybe go for a weestrom. you'll have more luggage options than you'll have with some poser bike. i hear the 650s can go just as hard!

how much would full comp. insurance be for the R1?
  17. If someone gave it to me I'd take it, but otherwise . . . . .
  18. although i do agree with the sentiment that there are more sensible choices of bike out there for your situation, i think that discluding it because its a thou is utter bollocks.

mate at the end of the day, the less kms it has, the less oppurtunity the previous owner(s) have had to abuse and neglect it. $8.5k will get you a VERY tidy late model bike with bugger all kilometres on it if you are prepared to wait just a little bit and keep your eyes open.
  19. I'm fully aware of how many kms a modern engine and chassis can do if looked after and not abused.

But this is a 10 year old R1. We're told nothing of its history and, by it's very nature, is vastly more likely to have been thrashed, monoed, burnouted etc. than, say, a ZZR1100.

Don't forget, time takes a toll on cycle parts, even if the bike's never used. Electrics, especially, can suffer if the bike's lived outside at any stage.

In reality, the bike's unlikely to suffer a spectacular blow-up, but there is the potential for a string of niggling faults, especially if it's going to be used as an everyday commuter at 300 km a week.

Like I said, if you like the bike and it's cheap, or you know some or all of its history, go for it. Just don't be too surprised if you find yourself spending more of your spare time than you'd like replacing oil seals and repairing aged wiring.

And I would love to see a 300,000 km CBR250RRRRRRR, let alone several.
  20. I'm sure you already know that the bike is drastic overkill for what you're going to do with it, but hey, you'll have fun.

But it does sound like a potential money pit to me. Like the above poster said, just a few more k and you're can get a much, much better example of the same bike.