Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1998 GS500E - Won't start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Smokae, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Bought this here last week. Took it out for a ride today, did a dozen laps around the block, relatively smooth learner-ish changes 1 through 3.

Was parking it in the garage and I bloody well dropped it :(

Now aside from a bent right lever, it won't start anymore :( There are two tubes that are open ended under the crank box, one seems mangled and was putting out something that smelled like oil, perhaps 20-30ml of it, then stopped.

Now the bike won't start. It turns over, but doesn't start!

EDIT: I got it started again, I don't know why. This is what I did;

- Let it sit for 10 minutes, nursed my goddamned knee.
    - Started it again, turned over, nothing
    - Tried again, accidently slipped the throttle, it started.

This while it was warm. It now starts first time again.
  2. The tubes are gonna be overflows, one would be fuel which would of came from the carbie when you dropped it, and flooded it at the same time.

after you crank it for a bit you get rid of the excess fuel so its at the right fuel air ratio to ignite and start.
  3. You'll wait all night for a better explanation.

The pain in your knee is caused by blunt-force trauma; you'll only have to wait two minutes for someone to come up with a better one that that :LOL:.