Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1998 CBR900RR not firing.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Jastel, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Hey guys, the other day I purchased a used CBR900 from a mate of a mate. It had been sitting for about 3 years so I installed a new battery, changed the oil, changed the brake fluid and cleaned out the fuel tank. I got it running quite nice then it sat for a few days before I attempted to start it on Monday with no luck.
    I checked the fuel valve and it appears to be working fine but still no fire. I then checked the plugs and all 4 of them are black so I earthed one to the motor but got no spark out of it.
    Tonight I got as far as testing the voltage at the ICM and it was above the 0.7V minimum...... I stopped there for now.

Is it possible that both ignition coils have given up the ghost?
    I'll test them tomorrow but will also price some replacements...... probably cost and arm and a leg knowing my luck lol

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Jason

2. Probably unlikely to lose two ignition coils at ones. Know more when you test them. A bike that has sat for a while is likely to have corrosion in electrical connectors depending on how it has been stored. That would be my first suspicion.

3. Very unlikely to lose both coils as Chris said. I would look for the ignition relay if there is one. No power to coil=no spark, or plugs are the wrong heat range and they have fouled, hence no spark.

Try cleaning a plug and test for spark again.

4.  Top
  5. Ok so I got some new plugs today, gapped and installed them. Tested both coils and they were fine. Checked all the electrical connectors I could see, cleaned some and just double checked everything.
    I then sprayed some "start ya bastard" into the carbys and kicked it over.... SUCCESS!!
    I put the bike back together and took it down the end of the street and back..... very smooth.
    Thanks for the replies :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Not that it matters, jastel is running, but it does have an ignition relay. Common style circuit. The relay is triggered by the bank angle and kill switch, and supplies coils, injectors etc.

• Informative Informative x 1