Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1996 YZF1000R Thunderace

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by Browncoat, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Its been about 15 years since i've ridden road bikes. I sold my 1986 GSXR1100 back then because I recognised a certain lack of commonsense in myself that was going to lead to disaster. Anyways, over the years I think I have matured and realise i'm not invincible and have been thinking lots about getting a road bike again.

I snagged this 1996 YZF1000R Thunderace 2 weeks ago and love it. Its taking a bit of getting used to but i'm stoked all the same.

Attached Files:

2. Very nice. I have a real soft spot for these - magnificent at what they do.
  3. Wow, great machine, Congratulations.

I have a 1987 FZR1000 and a 1992 FZR600 and love them both.
  4. Thanks guys,

I've read some negative reviews/comments about these bikes on this site. Glad to see i'm not the only one that likes them. :)

P.S. The bike came with a documented service history of every 6,000k for its 70,000k on the clock. She seems very mechanically sound. The clutch has no slip whatsoever but only takes up at the very end of clutch release. Do you think this indicates the clutch is coming towards the end of its life?
  5. I'd say your clutch cable needs the tension adjusted, I've got over 100, 000 kms on my zx9 and had the same problem.
  6. Inspect the cable - its the one thing on all my past bikes thats been inevitably buggered or close to it. My GSX-1100EF just snapped its clutch cable the other week, probably original equipment like everything else on it. 50,000km on the clock so give yours a good check over.

Cheers - boingk
  7. Nah guys,

Its hydraulic. There is no adjustment.

Its not really an issue as yet anyways.. i'll keep riding until it becomes one. :)
  8. Have you bled the system?
  9. No I haven't Loz, I've only had it a couple of weeks and haven't had the fairing off yet. Not a bad idea to bleed it though. I might go one further and flush and replace all the fluid.
  10. ...not really the best approach. :p
  11. if it aint broke dont fix it..

i'll flush and renew hydraulic fluid but until the clutch exhibits real problems why waste money?
  12. Sorry, I actually mixed your thread up with another one I was reading about one which was slipping in second. :oops:
  13. If there's air bubbles in the system, they'll use up some of your lever travel just in compression. I reckon a bleed will sort this right out.