Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1996 Yamaha XTZ660 - tail light

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by bonsai, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Hi everyone.
    This is my first post. Im liking the netrider community thing (y)

My 1996 Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere is giving me trouble.
    The tail/brake light has decided not to work, except when in park mode, but even then the brake filament doesn't light up, only the running light.
    If the motorbike is turned on the tail light doesn't light up at all.
    I checked the switch couplings from the main switch and cleaned them as best I could, checked the fuses and the wire connection itself, but I can't figure it out....

Can anybody help? It would be much appreciated.

Cheers :]

2. Welcome Bonsai,

Sounds like a poor earth down near the tail light. Doesn't really explain the working in Park mode but earthing issues can be strange at times. Below is a 750 but should be similar in wiring. It shows a plug near the rear tail lights that connects it to the wiring loom. Plugs can also be a source of intermittence. Pull the plug apart, there will be a release tang of some type to enable you to get them apart. Clean the plug up and plug it it and out a few times to make sure the connection is solid.

yamaha-xtz750.

When you get a chance post up an introduction thread in the Welcome lounge. It is the local custom on the site.

3. Cheers!
    Thanks for the diagram.

And will do :)

4. it worked!

• Like Like x 1