Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1996 Honda Hornet Fuel Smell

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hornet250, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1996 honda cb250f hornet, it actually runs, starts and idles very nicely but it has a strong smell of fuel even when the engine is warmed up. My first guess would be that it is running rich, maybe just on 1 cylinder, is this a reasonable guess? Any suggestions of things to try? I've only ever owned fuel injected bikes so I'm not particularly familiar with carbies on bikes, apologies.

Thank you in advance.
  2. If running rich it should show in the spark plugs. Pull the plugs and see what they look like.

I assume you have checked hoses etc for obvious fuel leaks.

Also have you checked the choke is shutting off correctly and not jamming on?
  3. First thing I would be looking at is a pinched or perished fuel line under the tank, or a leak at the fuel tap.....
  4. What Hornet said. A fuel smell when warm, particularly when it runs fine, usually means there's a small leak.
  5. I did have a poke around with a flashlight, there was no obvious leaks but I will take the tank off and have a better check. I did check the choke lever/cable, and it does not seem to be jamming on, but when I move it to the 'on' position the bike stalls even when the engine is stone cold after a cold night. I am pretty sure that the smell is not present when the engine is not running, I'm not sure if that helps.

Thank you for the advice.
  6. check the rubber that connect cab and engine
  7. You mean the carb boots? That's a good idea. I checked the fuel lines pretty carefully and I couldn't find any evidence of a leak, but it's entirely possible that I just missed it.
  8. Fuel leaks can be devilishly hard to find due to the rate of evaporation of fuel. Any reddishness on metal or painted surfaces is the sign. I had one that I absolutely could not find, in spite of many looks. Turned out to be the fuel tank itself, leaking through pin holes beneath the paint due to internal rust. Fuel leaks will often provide smells way before any drippage is evident. Fuel leaks are the first thing to consider if the bike is running as it should, and are within the capability of almost anyone to find and fix. Much easier to find if you keep your bike spotless.