Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1995 BMW R100RT

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Strife, Sep 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. So I've been wanting to do a cafe racer style bike for a while, with sidecar actually, but haven't been able to get my hands on quite the right donor bike. So with that I offered to snatch up @GreyBM 's old beemer and go from there. It having a single sided swing-arm and me not wanting to spoil it I'll have to leave the sidecar delusions to a future project.

Not much is actually planned for the next for weeks other than getting a proper workbench built so I can pull thing apart and put them back together!

Stock:
    [​IMG]

After a day:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Why does the single-sided swingarm preclude a sidecar? The K-Series has one too and hundreds have been chaired up successfully.

3. Nothing actually preventing me from attaching a sidecar, I guess it's more keeping it simple the first time around, although wanting to rebuild the engine doesn't exactly keep this frame of mind though. ;)

4. TBH, a straight engine rebuild on something like the air-cooled boxer is a far simpler proposition than hooking up a sidecar and making it work properly.

5. Sweeeeet.

Looking forward to it.. Subscribed.

6. Awesome stuff Strife.

Will watch with interest.

7. The bike served me well and I hope it is good to you too, Strife.

I see it already has slimmed down a tad. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

8. On ya Strife, Will watch with interest.

9. Excellent work Strife - you finally got one!

I will be watching with interest and standing by to assist if required.

10. So... my brother offered to build me a workbench, so I was tasked with strolling out to Bunnings (last Sunday), turned out great I reckon! Also an update on where I'm at with the bike, slowly but surely pulled the wiring loom out, I did this so I knew where things went and what I could eliminate right away. I've also pulled a few more parts off. :)

Workbench:
    [​IMG]

Where it's currently at:
    [​IMG]

11. Work bench is far too neat, you'll never get anything done that way. ;)

12. Even while keeping things neat, I'm already running out of space, I find the floor helps in these types of situations.
    [​IMG]

13. Cracks on both sides, both very thin pieces of metal that were going to be removed/replaced anyways.
    [​IMG]

Bracket going across the sub frame has a crack on one side, will probably get a whole new piece welded.
    [​IMG]

14. Still pulling things off the bike, have run into some problems with some stuck bolts and not having the right tools.

Secondary air system that goes to the heads. Pinched hose, not too sure how useful this system was to the running of the bike.
    [​IMG]

A socket to which I don't have, so I can't pull off the rear section at the moment.
    [​IMG]

This bolt is the main problem to which is making me unable to pull more things apart, if anybody has any suggestion on how to get this bastard off it would be mighty appreciated. It's located inside the lower half of the air box.
    [​IMG]

15. A few more pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Another small update, was able to remove the lower part of the air box after going out and buying a hex socket set and soaking it in a solution, grabbed a 27mm socket for the swing arm in the mean time. Also starting to pull apart the motor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Progress! Finally got the engine out of the frame, everything seems to be in decent nick from what I've looked at so far.

Current state:
    [​IMG]

How it got there:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Small update, crankshaft bearing and sprocket have been removed. Don't have time/tools to remove flywheel and maybe some more bits until sometime on the weekend.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. So! I haven't been taking any pictures really of each step but I have pretty much completed the tear down of the engine. Many substitutes were made in lieu of "BMW tools" that worked really well. :D

Special BMW tool I made for 10 bucks in addition to the sprocket puller, not very well thought out.
    [​IMG]

Slightly askew, but it worked!
    [​IMG]

Crankshaft.
    [​IMG]

More parts.
    [​IMG]

Quite spacious now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nice... what's next?

One problem.. I don't see the beer you're drinking in any of the pics. Apparently it's the 1st rule of rebuilding anything. You have been warned. :)