Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1992 Virago - Electrical issues?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by moogar, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey Guys

I was riding to work this morning, all was fine until suddenly on acceleration the bike spluttered and wouldn't go over about 80kph. I thought this might have been a dodgy fuel issue, as I had refuelled about 10 mins before and the problem cleared up after about 20 seconds.

I did notice however that the indicator didn't work every time I flicked it on, sometimes it just failed to activate, but I didn't give it any thought at that time.

At the end of the day I go out to the bike turn the key and nothing happens, no neutral lights no nothing. I can't start it up at all. I'm a bit of a noob, so if there is a way to jump start without power can someone tell me how to do it?

While I now wait for someone to come and get me :) can anyone suggest what might be wrong? I managed to pull off the side cover and from what I can see nothing looks cooked. I can't get at the battery though because I don't have the tools here.

Any suggestions?
  2. i had one of these as well..

my bike use to do the same thing as yours is.. i found it was my battery that was old and not charging properly that would be the cause for dead bike..

also i found when i was putting the seat on the bike sometimes the seat would catch on the termminals and pull back the plastic around the positive cable, which sometimes led to the cable hitting the frame and shorting out..

also check your fuses, i think there under one of the side covers.. been a while since i had my Yamahahaharley.

if the battery is new then check for dirty connections.. clean terminals and connecters with a paint brush using bi carb soda mixed with distilled water.

also has it rained lately in your area? ur switches may have water in them which shorts when u use them. (thats wat i found with my firestorm)

i wrote off my virago by trying to push start it.. throttle got locked and it went for a ghost ride into a wall...

about all i can think of at the moment

3. thanks man

The battery is about a year old as is the regulator, as both were replaced when the regulator blew back then.

It has been raining, and i did ride it in the rain so i will check the terminals. I suspect it's also a fuse.. just a bastard to have happened when it did.. a million miles from home :)
  4. i no the feeling when i was new to riding i busted a clutch cable 15ks from work.. ended up pushing it for 10ks till a guy in a ute offerd me a lift.. got to work and the managers boss.. who rides was like... "why didnt yah just ride with no clutch.. showed me how to do it and got my self home :D