Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1990 ZZR250 - Odd electrical problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by sojin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Afternoon.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across an odd little electrical problem with a 1990 ZZR250.

Turn the key and no dash lights, no indicators and no horn. What is so odd about that you ask? The bloody thing starts and runs just fine. :-s

Checked the fuses and they look fine, even pulled them out and reseated. I also pulled out the manual and tested the junction box with a multi meter and I cant seem to fault it.

The only other thing I can think of is to pull the tank off and test the cables to the dash, headlights and indicators to try and isolate the fault.

Anyone else come across an electrical fault like this one?

Ta.

2. No immediate knowledge of this problem but looking at the Circuit diagram the Indicators and Horn are off separate fuses, the common thing I would guess would be the ignition switch barrel. There are separate contacts in that switch for ignition and auxiliary services, I think?? Using your multimeter check that there is 12V to the frame of the bike on both side of the fuse if you can get to it. On the circuit diagram I have the inward feed is shown as a brown wire leaving the ignition switch and going to the fuse cluster.

Good Luck. :)