Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1989 Xr600r

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by Captain115, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

Well it's been almost a year since I first got my CBF250 (start of 2012) and I've realised that I:

a) really enjoy riding

b) would like to expand my skills into dirt

c) would like to explore Australia on a bike

d) want to own a bike that has large aftermarket support

I was looking for months at the big-bore thumpers, such as the XR/XL's, KLR's, DR's and XT/TT's. In the end I found a 1989 XR600R for sale that looked in good condition and had been bored out to 630. Money changed hands and so hence, my new bike. Amusingly I am on the limit of my restricted licence and can upgrade to unrestricted in about 3 weeks time yet the XR is (somehow) a LAMS approved.

Just had new wheel bearings, front axle, exhuast valves and has bashplate, new levers, frame gaurds, renthal bars, new rear bag and Ballards footpegs. The 630cc piston in by far the best upgrade however!

2. XRs are cool I learned on an XR 100 and a friend of mine had an XR400. Looks like it would be an awesome bike for exploring Australia, must be pretty heave tho..From what ive heard the old XRs are bullet proof...hopefully it works out well for you!
  3. I really reallly loved riding an XR200.
    Nice and light and just the right amount of zip without brown staining your pants (eg yz80 race bike)