Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1989 Honda CBR250r Idling too low

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ivana, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Hi everyone, I have a 1989 Honda CBR250R that keeps on stalling. I've added spit fire to the petrol, to clean out the carbies. When i start the bike i pull out the choke and let it warm up, however when i slowly push in the choke the bike starts to stall. I think that the bike is revving too low. I don't have a manual for the bike. :roll:

2. On the left hand side of the bike, there is a black idle screw, try turning that. It's accessible through one of the gaps in the fairing
  3. hey - i was going to say the exact same thing.

Make sure you warm up the bike first though.

So what you want to do is, get your bike up and running. Apply as much throttle as you need to prevent the bike from stalling. once the bike is warm ( ride it for at least 15mins) look for the screw and slide your fingers in. turn it clockwise to increase the revs.

THe only thing is, it's a quick fix solution. THere is a slight chance your mixtures are off. ie Idle jets may be incorrectly adjusted. You might even need ur carbs to be balanced.
  4. Okay Vic, Thanks but pardon my ignorance, as this is my first bike and I don't know a great deal about bikes, could you be more specific. I can't seem to find it and there are a hell of a lot of screws in there :?
  5. It should be roughly the same size as a 5c piece, black plastic knob type thingy. I'll take Vic's word that it's on the left hand side of the bike as i don't know CBR's, but it's likely to be either through one of the small holes (~20c piece size) in the fairing (plastic side panels) or it may be somewhere just to the rear of the fairings... about where you knee would be if you were sitting on the bike.

edit: There's also a small possibility that it's been relocated to behind the carbs in one of it's potentially many reincarnations.
  6. I found it

Yippee I found it, goes like a dream. Now what should it be idling at when at a standstill. Is it 2rpm :grin:
  7. 1200 rpm