Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1988 VFR750

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Rolla, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Hey guys.
    We are heading up to Ballarat tomorrow to look at a bike.
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any inherent problems with the old VFR's that i should be aware of and to look for.
    Thanks in advance. :p

2. take someone with you that has good mechanical knowledge if you can. The older VFR750's are absolute work horses that are as hard as nails and keep on keeping on. I rode back from Sydney with a bunch of guys last September and one of them had an early 90's black VFR which was very clean and straight, had fluted fairings, it look superb.

Good luck, hope it comes in at the right price and condition :grin:
  3. A lot of bikes have a good internet following. If your after VFR stuff then there is plenty here:

Much better reputation than the earlier VF's due to the engine redesign.

Good luck.
  4. Give Roarin a ring, he's got one. Doesn't trust himself to ride it much. :LOL:
  5. I had one of these. Only problems I had were a failed rectifier (twice) which is common. and a failed radiator fan sensor switch, which is not that common.
    Motor eventually got noisy (valve train noise) , but would have soldiered on forever. Can't get rid of the clatter, tho'.
    16 inch front wheel is considered inferior to the 17inch on the next year model.
  6. It is now sitting in my driveway. :)
  7. It actually has 17inch wheels on it, which doesn't match the info i have read.