Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1988 Honda Spada - Petrol Leak

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by spadamasta, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I just bought my first bike today after getting my licence last weekend. I bought it from Bikebiz Parramatta Sydney who did a major service and filled up the petrol tanks. Problem is I get home and notice petrol is leaking out of a tube near the chain about a drip a second. Is this something which I should be annoyed about?

A friend suggested it could be an overflow tube for the reserve tank which they may have overfilled.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
  2. stand the bike upright, as opposed to sidestand and see if it stops. it may just be the overflow, if the tank is too full, it will do this.

if this doesnt stop it, it could be a carby/needle&seat issue.
  3. sounds like the overflow, keep an eye on it, and if it continues bring it back to the place you bought it at and get em to take a look at it.
  4. All sorted

Thanks for your advice. I stood it up and it was still leaking. So I got a bike riding dad from next door to take a look. Half a second later he found that one of the fuel tubes wasn't connected to the filter properly. He fixed it for me and no more leaks. Of course that was after riding another 10 k's trying to get rid of some fuel! It was fun though.

I am now very happy indeedy. :grin:
  5. Re: All sorted

Very glad you got it sorted. Now for a tip..... Bikes have lots of hot bits when they've been ridden for any length of time and petrol ignites easily. Riding a bike with a fuel leak therefore may be unwise. :wink:

Next time, disconnect the lower hose from the fuel tap, stick a length of garden/heater/radiator (whatever you've got) hose under it and use the tap to drain fuel into a suitable container. This will save you from those embarrassing "OMG my bike's on fire" moments and you'll be able to use the fuel in your mower/woodfired bbq/radio controlled boat (whatever you've got). :)