Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1986 SR500 - disc or drum brakes?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 0brut, Apr 2, 2008.

1. hi all

i'm looking to switch from scootering to motorbikes and have been checking out a few SR500's.

one bike on offer is an imported 1986 model. stock. looks ok from the pics (interstate).

however, this bike has drum brakes on the front - should they be discs?

most of the other SR's i have seen have discs (but they are nearly all modded so its hard to tell what is oe)

ps. i'll have an italjet dragster 180 for sale shortly if anyone is looking for one.
  2. Some SR500's came with drum brakes, but not the ones that came into Australia via the Australian importers.
  3. thanks, so these are the correct oe brakes as this is a grey import?

side question - do the discs offer much better performance?
  4. Not necessarily for a single stop. However, drums used hard and continuously tend to overheat and fade more easily than a disc.

As the SR500 disc was not a particularly sophisticated device, I'd suspect that, for the sort of normal road use an SR is likely to see, a drum will offer
    no disadvantage.
  5. thanks for the prompt replies.