Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1985 Honda ATV 250r

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by tim, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Looking for some info about the above trike.

A friend has one that he is looking to sell. It is currently not running and we believe it is the coil not giving us any spark. I'm watching a couple of cdi units in the US on ebay at the moment, so hopefully we'll get it running soon. There are pages and pages of spare parts in the US, it looks like you could build a full trike just from the parts available, though I haven't seen a chassis yet for sale.

My question is what do you think these would be worth running in ok condition, bike is complete and the rear axle bearings have been done as well. The pistons are either 0.25 or 0.50 oversize, need to check that out as well.

For those not familar with this trike they were built purely as a racing machine and the government banned the importation of these trikes due to the high death rate. The first time I rode it was before I started riding and I ended up in the bush pretty much straight away, it scared the heebee jeebee's out of me. Put my legs down too, so had some nice marks on the back of the legs..

The US governemt banned the manufacture of these trikes in 1987 for 10 years but noone seems to have started making them again (we're talking race trikes here remember)

They do tip over very easily, wicked amount of power and they don't turn, you have to powerslide through corners to get the most from it. An absolute hoot to ride once you get the hang of it.. They are a definite kitten killer :)

2. Those things are pure evil - I managed to put one into a dam on a friends place one when it got away from me. But yes, they don't steer worth a damn. Good brakes though.

If the motor is in good condition (bearing in mind it's a high-performance twostroke) it's probably beoming collectable - if you have a deathwish :)

3. Oh man, my cousin has one of those. He broke his arm last time he rode it.

They remind me of these