Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1984 BMW R65

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by MrJaiT, May 16, 2013.

1. So the story goes something like this:

fella want's to learn how to ride motorbikes
    fella look's at current market for LAMS bikes
    fella is displeased with them overall
    fella decided to look what the list of WA LAMS legal bikes & look's at each & every one on the list until
    fella falls in love with the look's & potential of the BMW R65
    fella want's a 1987 BMW R65 MONO but they are in short supply (came so frustratingly close but it was snatched away by the man's son)
    fella goes back a little farther to the smaller framed more nimble 1984 BMW R65's & find himself a well looked after example from a lovely guy in Albany who has loved & cared for this bike for many years
    fella is expecting to see & hear the sounds of his Beemer this Sunday afternoon so the fun can begin

maybe not the most original story but a fun one non the less, I didn't come to this decision lightly after all 3 grand is 3 grand but 3 grand for an under appreciated 30 year old bike that's gone 80,000 km's & is still going strong is nothing after what I have in mind for this German gem

okay here's where I'll need ur help to rein me in if u see me getting way out of hand with this build, the budget is $7000 to $8000 STOP ME IF U SEE ME GOING OVER THAT! or at least tell me because well we can rarely see the mess we make when we're love drunk

anyway so far into my "build" I quote because I don't have the bike till Sunday but I've managed to source some 1982 R65LS rim's in fairly good condition no dents, bends, chips & a relatively good spline in the rear drum shipped down here for about $400 but the rim's them selves were talked down to $275, their pretty damn rare but they just look better in my opinion compared to the snowflake rim's that come standard, a bit foolhardy ? yes but such is this bike that I know even if I don't purchase this particular bike coming it'll be another R65 from somewhere else

there will be a lot going into this bike as I'll be gently taking her apart & building her up again stronger & better then before but of course keeping her LAMS legal for the time being with no performance mods or weight loss (if there is some then I'll supplement with temporary weight in consultation with custom bike builders in the Perth area) to keep the bike legal but quite honestly there are no performance mods for the R65 anyway

2. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. I doubt you will get any hassle over it.
    It's not exactly a lightweight to begin with.

3. With that budget you can have a concours winning R65. The mid 80's R65 is a gem. The LS is the pick of course :)

4. #4 MrJaiT, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    haha yeah ur not wrong there not by a long shot if I can recall correctly it's 205 kilo's wet, hefty bike indeed

one could only hope but I'm sure with generous input, imagination & a little innovation anything's possible

she's not even here yet & I'm thinking up way's to modernise the front brakes to a more aggressive Brembo system, perhaps bring the duel disk system into play considering it is available for use with the new R65LS rim that have been acquired but I find myself wondering whether I'd really need the stopping power of two four pot Brembo callipers squeezing down around the throat of duel disks with 205 kgs of bike + me on top, truly it sounds like a no brainier when put like that but considering I'm fresh off the bench, I find myself wondering "how long before u get a little to greedy & lock out the front wheel ? exchanging soft supple finely upholstered leather for the hard realities of gravity & asphalt ?"

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, that's in the future & first I'll need to design & build a mounting bracket for the newer callipers if I can't manage to find any, which to be honest isn't looking all that promising as I've sent out a few emails to companies that do race ready parts for Beemers & non have replied just yet but finger's crossed a solution present's itself

6. If the R65 Brakes are anything like my R100RT brakes then they could certainly use some additional stopping power.

7. apparently they are worse, I've heard them described as "old school ABS" because apparently there's not way ur locking those babies up

8. First step is to put braided lines on. That will definitely help.

9. I wish you much joy of your new bike, and welcome to motorcycle riding.

It is refreshing to hear of someone seeing past "what's the fastest LAMS bike I can find" and finding an elegant and classy alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Being in WA, Bruce and Brian at Munich Motorcycles are about to become your best friends. If they don't know it can't source it, what your asking us pretty obscure. I'd also look to the mailing list at ibmwr The brains trust there is very impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from what you are doing, MrJaiT. With such a fine foundation, there is every reason to believe that you can improve the bike. Agree, braided lines is a good first step with the brakes. See what it does. Brembos will be about as good as you can get. Certainly they would add real value to the value of the completed bike.

How are the wheels compared to what they will replace? Heavier or lighter? With a bike like that, the lighter the wheels the better. Less unspring weight makes the suspension makes it potentially more compliant, can improve handling. Can produce an apparent improvement in engine and braking performance, due to the lower mass spinning up or slowing.

The R650s were a very underrated bike. I have a friend with one, completely stock and it is a nice ride. Keep us posted.

12. +1 on Munich

Also had some good service from Motobins in UK. Parts usually arrive in about a week and even with postage usually much cheaper than local

13. V. true

Motobins are quick reliable and good value.

14. By the way, IKON shocks work well - they're actually Konis manufactured here. And Overlander products down in Warrnambool manufacture exhausts and other bits to fit. I can thoroughly recommend them.

http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/bmw.htm

15. I'm currently in talk's with a company & a race focused company about putting together a custom Brembo focused kit for the bike but atm they require detailed pictures of the stock set up which I can't provide until I have the bike, anyway they are trying to figure out whether the master cylinder will handle the extra load on one calliper let along two, worst comes to worst the whole stock brake system goes out & a new one get's put in

thank u good sir & yeah my thought process was along the lines of "I want something functional, feasible & most definitely cool enough to keep around for the next couple of years" & a labour of love was the answer

ooh yeah I've already talked to Bruce about the bike in question & he's a great GREAT help just an endless reservoir of knowledge on these bikes, hrm I shall look into that thank u

it shall certainly be a huge learning curve considering the most technically complex mechanically orientated thing I have done to date, I'm not sure about the weight of the stock rim's but currently on the shipping notice it's reading out at 57 lbs which is roughly 25 kg's for both front & rear rim's... I did have the option of the Excel rim's (seen bellow) but I just didn't like the look of them compared to the 1982 R65 LS rim's for this "Stealth" concept but to answer ur question I'm sure they still weigh less then the stock by perhaps a kilo or two but let's face it the 1984 R65 is not a speed demon & was never meant to be but where it does shine is in the corner's with it's tight frame & low centre of gravity working in unionise with it's small wheelbase to carve clean curves

don't worry u lad's will be with me every step of the way

thank u, I've been knee deep in research & I didn't happen to find that site or perhaps I simply over looked it

the shocks do have me dumb founded, I don't think bike has the performance to deserve Ohlins & neither will the budget allow for such extravagance but I've contacted the manufacturer of the following bike to let me know which shocks their using as I kinda like the look of them

I'm currently in talk's with a company & a race focused company about putting together a custom Brembo focused kit for the bike but atm they require detailed pictures of the stock set up which I can't provide until I have the bike, anyway they are trying to figure out whether the master cylinder will handle the extra load on one calliper let along two, worst comes to worst the whole stock brake system goes out & a new one get's put in

thank u good sir & yeah my thought process was along the lines of "I want something functional, feasible & most definitely cool enough to keep around for the next couple of years" & a labour of love was the answer

ooh yeah I've already talked to Bruce about the bike in question & he's a great GREAT help just an endless reservoir of knowledge on these bikes, hrm I shall look into that thank u

it shall certainly be a huge learning curve considering the most technically complex mechanically orientated thing I have done to date, I'm not sure about the weight of the stock rim's but currently on the shipping notice it's reading out at 57 lbs which is roughly 25 kg's for both front & rear rim's... I did have the option of the Excel rim's (seen bellow) but I just didn't like the look of them compared to the 1982 R65 LS rim's for this "Stealth" concept but to answer ur question I'm sure they still weigh less then the stock by perhaps a kilo or two but let's face it the 1984 R65 is not a speed demon & was never meant to be but where it does shine is in the corner's with it's tight frame & low centre of gravity working in unionise with it's small wheelbase to carve clean curves

don't worry u lad's will be with me every step of the way

thank u, I've been knee deep in research & I didn't happen to find that site or perhaps I simply over looked it

the shocks do have me dumb founded, I don't think bike has the performance to deserve Ohlins & neither will the budget allow for such extravagance but I've contacted the manufacturer of a certain bike to let me know which shocks their using as I kinda like the look of them, I would have posted a picture but I can't until something something something I don't get the reasons =/

• Like Like x 1
  16. so... IT'S HERE! well it arrived on Sunday afternoon & I was previously engaged so I could really stop to appreciate her as much as every fibre of my being was compelling, coercing, begging me to just stare at her, touch her & perhaps even have a candle lit dinner with her but at the end I settled for starting her up (a bit of a learning curve in itself) while I sat on her & letting her run till she ran out of gas, the feeling in itself, the sounds, the smells, were simply orgasmic (I really do love this thing)

981313_10151440159411889_670998401_o.

477784_10151440160621889_1268479121_o.

976319_10151440160711889_1223027413_o.

[​IMG]

980009_10151440161076889_1085582939_o.

17. Looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

18. Looks very neat and tidy. Hopefully an indication that it is very good conditions inside too.

19. 1st port of call should be check or replace cam chains.

20. Looks very neat and tidy. Hopefully an indication that it is very good conditions inside too.