Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1980 ZX2R Headlight globe problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by luke.b, Jun 20, 2010.

1. 1990 ZX2R Headlight globe problem

Hi all,

Went for a ride last night in the hills and struggled for any sort of vision with the lights on low beam. Initial thoughts were to replace the globes, and see if that made a difference.

Went to an auto shop, and bought some new H4 globes, however these don't seem to fit properly. The 3 tags that the globe locates off are different to the ones that I took out of the bike.

The old globes were only 35/55, hence the lack of light, whereas new globes should be around 50/60 area.

So, the big question; what globes do I need? Already did a couple searches on this forum, and on google, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Given the age of the bike and the 35/55 globes (sure its not 35/35?), they are probably plain tungsten, not halogen. Many bikes of that vintage had them, and they're f***ing useless. I had a GS 450 in '83 and used to ride from Sydney to the Blue Mountains and back every weekend (girlfriend!) and the Friday night ride up was a killer. I upgraded by finding a round car headlight of about the same diameter and adapting it to the Suzuki shell, then used H4 bulbs. Worked a treat.
  3. luke. I had similar problem, needed a pair of bulbs for my 97 cbr100f, I thought they were h4s but soon found out that I was wrong. They are a version of a h6 BUT only available through Honda (pass the Vaseline please)...
  4. Thanks for the responses guys.

Being an engineer, I'm considering over engineering something or milling out some slots in the holder to suit an H4 globe. Would I be correct in assuming the pin locations would be the same? They appeared to be, but I don't have any spare H4 gllobes to test.