Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1980 Yamaha SR250.. should I get one?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by bigsky, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Hi there fellas! I'm new here, obviously. I just got my L's and am very keen to get a cruiser!

I haven't much money to spend unfortunately. I've been on bikesales.com.au for a while now, and found this bike:

Seem's like a good deal to me. RWC and Rego till' next year. Only done 31,738 kms, I'm assuming that's good for a 30~ odd year old bike! What do you guys/girls think about buying this bike? I only have $2,000 to spend. =[

(Edit: I've also been looking at this, which isn't a cruiser (sorry) http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=95&__sid=1273AE8D1F20)

2. Well, technically speaking the SR isn't a cruiser either. It just has slightly higher bars and slightly extended forks over the standard SR.

The Fizzer looks like a better deal, though if the thought of riding everywhere at 10000RPM worries you then you'd better not consider it!!

3. The SR250 isn’t really a cruiser, It does have a nice low CoG though and is a really forgiving and easy bike to learn on. But they are a bit old and temperamental.
    Oh and don’t try to get em cranked over they start dragging stuff
  4. My SR185 was Mr Reliability, while Devery's $1000 SR (see in the garage section) has been a pain. Which is fine if you're happy to pull out some tools. That bike looks pretty good though, and has a spare. I'd jump at it. The SR is a great bike in any cc (I've owned the 185 and the 500), and I think it is one of the better 250s (in that it's just a great bike in itself, rather than being a little imitation of some 'proper' bike). Cheap to own, run and fix: thumbs up here.