Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1980 Xs250 rebuild

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Blocky04, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Gday fellas, I'm doing a restoration on a 1980 xs250 and need some help.
    It hasn't been running for at least 5 years, I've checked all the obvious things to get it going but it won't kick.

1) are the carburetors easy to repair?
    2) are parts easy to get for this model?
    3) the clutch won't engage, I've adjusted the cable but still nothing. Is there known to be a problem with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Blocky

2. #2 cjvfr, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Hello Blocky,

As far as I know this engine was fairly tough and simple. They were known to have electrical problems with switches etc as they aged. If it hasn't run in 5 years carb jets are probably blocked, fuel will be expired, oil and plugs will need replacement and tyres will probably be hard. Reputedly their electrical timing was a bit fiddly and needed work periodically. Get a service manual for it.

What have you done so far to get it running?

PS: Welcome to the forum, when you get a chance post and intro thread in the welcome lounge it is the local custom.

3. I would add that the rubber in the carb is probably cracked. so they will need a kit put through them. Replace all the fuel and vacuum lines whilst you are there. parts for older japanese bikes are not too bad. and as cjvfr mentions, don't muck around with the tyres. they will be hard and unsafe. check for rust in the tank. Install an inline fuel filter just in case.