Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1974 cb360g

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by pt, Feb 14, 2006.

1. ok all you tech heads this is the beginning of the worst time of your life. i've got a 1970s cb350 twin sitting in my garage which has already started to be attacked. it has been sitting in possibly the same place since the late 80s and it wasn't put away for storage. just left there. covered up and in a garage but it wasnt put on the centre stand and none of the fluids were drained. and me being the numbnut that i am decided i might make it go again. so i went and picked it up for nicks yesterday and put it in my garage.

good news is it kicked over when i tried to kick start it. bad news is it didnt start. so i pretty much wrote off the starting idea and decided/didnt think and started pulling it apart. the exhausts are off and so is the petrol tank. front brake is hydraulic and wasnt working surprise surprise. anyway, heres the first problem:

the front brake master cylinder has seized and wont move at all. i pulled it off and washed all the dried up brake fluid out with metho and got all the crusty bits out. it still wont move though. if i want it to be fixed do i have any chance or should i just start looking at the wreckers for something that will work? like the one on my cb250 looks like it'll fit fine but i'd like to keep at least one bike in working order :)

thanks in advance! :grin:
  2. Re: 1973 cb350g: Front brake master cylinder

If the fluid has dried up, it may have corroded to the point of seizing, but dont throw it away yet. Stand the master cylinder on its end in the freezer, and fill the output port (where the brake hose attached) with Penetrene. This will screw the rubber seals, but the cold may cause everything to shrink enough to open up the tolerances, letting the oil into the cylinder bore and release the piston.

If that doesn't work, the next step is to get a bolt the same size and thread as the brake hose fitting, and drill it longitudinally. Then run a tap in so you can put a grease nipple into the bolt head. Screw the bolt into the master cylinder and use a grease gun to pump the piston out. A grease gun will deliver some serious hydraulic force. Here's the tool you need:

3. wow thanks chairman. looks like you're my man! i got it out! using metho a bit of wire and a hammer and nail :shock: . not sure ill be using it again on the road, but the piston now moves relatively freely and most of the gunk has gone.

thats that bit done. but now i'm not sure where to go from here. i've taken the headlight and instruments off the front as well as the bars and the switchgear. i unplugged all the wiring too. uh oh spagettio now i dunno what i'm gonna do when i try to put it back together. but anyway. i can either clean the bike the way it is and try to reassemble it in the hope that the engine will run with new plugs, oil and clean fuel, OR i can keep going in the same direction i'm going and pretty much destroy it then rebuild it from the ground up. it cost me nothing so if i end up hitting a wall with it i'm not too worried about dropping the project. do you suggest i pull it apart totally or just clean it the way it is now and try to put it all back together?
  4. If it ran when ut away, it wil run again!
    I''d clean teh carbs, tank and put a filter in the fuel line. New plugs, points? and condensers if it has them. Check timing, but again, if it ran, it wil be fine.
    new air filter, fresh oil , and while you have the plugs out, inject some light motor oil into the holes, crank it over, then put the plugs back in.
    If the engine has good spark and fuel, it will run.
    Don't trash teh bike, if it wasn't broken, dont fix it!

Regards, Andrew
  5. ok so now i've gotten back into the swing of things since uni has gone back i REALLY need a manual or something. i'm totally lost as to which bits do what. it looks like i'm heading for a lengthy full restoration cause i've pretty much pulled everything off. one thing i'm rally scared off is all the electrical stuff :shock: i'm never going to be able to put it back on the frame!

so does anyone know where i can get a manual? i've seen some US sites where you can order online but i'd prefer to buy it here. and do people think i need anything else. like a parts list or something?

6. I hate to be a party pooper, but, really, gallon of petrol and a match, c'mon, you know it's never going to be a rider :p
  7. My first road bike was a 1974 CB250, which is almost identical to the one you have.

They are a really solid, pretty reliable old bike... have fun :)
  8. :evil:
  9. I did'nt want to say that, but l gotta agree with you
    Hornet. Those things were'nt much when they were in reasonable going order. You can waste a lot of $ very easily on this one.
  10. i read the reviews. i never said i wanted a super bike. i just want an old one :)
  11. Only that it is local and you'll get it in a few days as opposed to a week or more.

And the $70 price was for local stores.
  12. ok looks like the dream is dead. :cry: i'm still slowly pulling it to peices but i just dont have the money to invest in it, plus i think everyone was right when they said it wasn't worth it. it won't be anything special if i do get it back to working order and at the moment i highly doubt i'll be able to get it to that state in the first place. so i'm after opinions as to wether or not i should take it to the wreckers and hope for over 10 dollars or just cut to the chase and take it to a scrap metal place. thank goodness i didn't pay anything for it and it wasn't anyones pride and joy. :?
  13. Here's a thought just clean the bits you can and try and put it back together without spending heaps of moola. It was free to begin with so just have some fun with it. If it never runs then at least you may gain some valuable experience by pulling it apart and doing the jigsaw. It's a basic simple bike so use it as a learning tool if nothing else. :)
  14. Don't give up!

People who told you it's a waste of time are jerks

You say you don't have the money to invest in it? What money? Just do the things Typhoon in his wisdom suggested, and there's a good chance it'll go fine. It shouldn't need major engine work. If it does, then it will be time to junk it.

Think of it just as a hobby- it'll keep you occupied and interested for months, possibly even years! I don't mean that in a bad way, that it will take years to fix. What I mean is, just take your time, work at it as long as it takes. If you get frustrated with it, just take a break for a few weeks, and come back to it with a clear head.

I absolutely disagree it won't be anything special if you finish it. Any old bike is a treat to ride and look at. If your willing to spend just a little more, say $500, you could give it a thorough respray/cleanup, and spend a little to customise it depending on your tastes.
    How about a CB360 cruiser? Fit some highrise bars, old harley tank, some fancy seat and you'd have a cheap custom. All available at your local wreckers for nix.
    Or how about my personal favourite, CB360 cafe special :) ?clip-on's and rearsets will set you back a little, but other than that you can make a very light, agile and noisy bike for not very much money- the chairman's SR500 being a prime example of this.

Not special you say!

Okay, mabye those ideas are a little silly? But even in stock form, it will still be a cool bike.