Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1966 R27 BMW

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by incitatus, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Does anybody know what a good clean 1966 R27 should be worth?. This one is now black, but was originally 'Dover White'. I believe only 50 white R27's were ever made.

2. If you post that question in aus.motorcycles there is just the person to answer that question for you.
    she goes by the name of Zebee and knows all about that era of cycles.

3. Thanks, I'll do so immediately.

4. Re: Another question strictly for the Beemer boys

Yes, 50 only. So who the hell would someone paint over it black? :evil: The original white ones are quite expensive and quite sought after, due to their rarity. A black one would be worth between $4,500 (for good) and $8,000 (for very good) depending upon it's exact condition.

Good — Presentable sheet metal, engine, and frame with signs of wear. Not totally detailed but very clean. Frame should be straight and unaltered. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or imperfections. Starts, runs, and rides good. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

Very Good — An extremely presentable original motorcycle showing minimal wear, or a well restored motorcycle. Starts, runs, and rides well. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas have been detailed. Beautiful to look at but below excellent condition because of limited used or restoration flaws.

5. Re: Another question strictly for the Beemer boys

Hmmm...This one has had 3 owners from new. It was originally purchased in Germany by a missionary who took it to PNG. It stayed there, ending up in average condition, until it was imported by a bloke in Queensland. He totally restored it about 5 years ago, and yes, he changed it from white to black..duh. He then sold it to another Queenslander who rides it regularly. I can get it for $4.5k with the original tools, bill of sale, and manual, and a bunch of spares.

Oh dear. I think Incitatus is about to aquire another bike, in spite of every grain of common sense saying "You Can't Bloody Afford It"........

6. When did common-sense ever govern such a decision?

7. Actually, my friend who knows a lot about antique bikes has just clarified. BMW Munich made lots in white, but only 50 made it to the USA. A yank importer had a car in white and asked BMW to copy the colour for the R27, which they did. He ordered 50, but BMW made more.

8. Re: Another question strictly for the Beemer boys

In that condition, and at that price it would be a good investment :) My antique knowing friend asked you to pass on the contact details if you decide not to buy it :)

9. Does that mean that a 'Munich' white has no more value than black?

10. Who cares...at that price it's worth it just to see that spindly, little shaft whirring around the back.
    Lets hope the Denfeld saddles are still ok...and the rear one still has the Bakelite-type hand-grip to it :)

11. It does. And the optional rack that attaches to it.

12.  Top
  13.  Top
  14. lol, yeah i know that one has a price but i was wondering if the value is different over here. Also Dad's one is Black not army coloured and it has those bars which come out off the frame in front of your legs and back on to the frame again. Kinda like a loop. Like what are on some big tourer type cruisers.

Cheers,
    Josh

15. [quote="

lol, yeah i know that one has a price but i was wondering if the value is different over here. Also Dad's one is Black not army coloured and it has those bars which come out off the frame in front of your legs and back on to the frame again. Kinda like a loop. Like what are on some big tourer type cruisers.

Cheers,
    Josh[/quote]

I don't really know, but the French army bikes are quite common, so I suspect a 'genuine' one would be worth more. Most important though, is how original is the bike.

16. I don't really know, but the French army bikes are quite common, so I suspect a 'genuine' one would be worth more. Most important though, is how original is the bike.[/quote]

At present the bike is 100% original but it will need to have the exhaust replace as a hole has rusted through it