Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1949 BSA project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by bsa, Oct 11, 2009.

1. I am the proud owner of a vinage motorbike namely an A7 BSA, which i was lucky enough to purchase about 6 months ago from Queensland.

The bike was in good condition for its age and despite being stored in a shed for the best part of 5 years. It has ran great and has been totally reliable as i use it a few times a week to commute to work.

All i have done to the bike since i purchased it (besides cleaning it up) was get new mufflers for it due to the ones that came with the bike being fairly worn.

Recently i decided that i wanted to take the bike back to the original colours and have embarked on this over the last couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to have a grandpa who has restored bikes his whole life and was a spray painter which helped a great deal as i was learning as i went along.

(the bike originally)

Tear down

Tank taped up

After spray

fenders Sprayed

Bike sprayed and re-assembled

Now just waiting on the tank transfers and the new black leather saddle seat and pillion to be finished and to place the knee rubbers back on then it will be finally finished for now.

will try and put up a fully finished photo as soon as all parts back.

Thanks for reading
  2. Goddam that's a friggin' beautiful bike, you lucky son of a...
  3. Such a rare, beautiful bike. Original colours do look better. Good job.
  4. G'day everyone,...

What a great looking bike.

When I first saw the thread in the new posts list I thought Great,... somebody got hold of a BSA Golden Flash!
    I want to get my hands on one at some point,but your bike looks realy good.

Congratulations on getting a nice bike and have lots of fun rideing it.

Dr Who?
  5. wow! It looked pretty good at the start, but it looks fantastic now. I'll bet your grandpa is keen to jump on? Excellent work fella. Bet it sounds great too.

6. excellent work
  7. I thought they were fairly common?

Great looking bike.
  8. More so the good condition of it.
  9. Man i wish i coud afford one of these, i would have one in a flash.

My Dad fell off his first Motorbike when he was 8 years old on a BSA and id love to own one.

Anyway the bike looks great=D>

Can i ask what a similar bike would bring in terms of dollars?
  10. A7s in general, yes. But ones as early as a '49 and without swingarms are a bit less so. IIRC, the very early ones had a different bore and stroke than later models too, which sets them apart a bit.
  11. Thanks for all the comments

im really happy with it and hope it will be all finished soon.

Im not really sure what $$ u could get them for and not sure of how rare the A7 model is.
    Mine would be little harder to get hold of as it is a Star twin model so came out with twin carbies and plunger frame when all normal models of 49 had rigid frame and single carbies.