Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1927 Scott Flying Squirrel

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Hipster Doofus, Nov 13, 2009.

1. 498cc 2-stroke water-cooled twin built 82 years ago.

"The engine is remarkable for its smoothness, belying its age, and getting the revs up a bit once on the move cleans out the Scott’s throat, and it pulls strongly. In fact, once moving it’s almost hard to believe you’re riding a machine that was built two years before the start of the Great Depression. That is, until you go to stop, at which point you’re reminded that, well, this bike was built two years before the Great Depression!"

Story & vid

2. Bear in mind that the Silk company in the UK were building bikes with a variation on this engine in the 1970s and it wasn't particularly embarassing. Well, no more embarassing than most of the contemporary "New British World Beaters" anyway.
  3. Yep, was a nice bike, then and in the 70's as well.

4. Tickling the carbs. Bloody hell I had forgotten about that. Used to do it on my first bike.

Good to see that even though he was only on a short ride he had full safety gear, right down to the not done up helmet.
  5. Yeah, my 1979 CZ had a carb tickler on its primitive Jikov. Best of all, the overspill was directed, via a channel cast into the top of the gearbox, into the fully enclosed chaincase, ensuring that the chain was permanently lubed with 2-stroke oil. Brilliant bit of design. If you're not an environmentalist anyway.