Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

180/55 vs 190/50 Rear - Will it fit?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by tubthumping, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Hi guys just a quick question. I have an R1 with a 190/50 rear at the moment and can get a 180/55 rear at a decent price. Just wondering if, apart from the fact that it is slightly narrower, there are any issues with fitting this tyre to the rear rim.

Cheers,
    Paul.

2. I don't have any mechanical "advice" but a narrow tyre would speed up the steering?

3. It will fit :grin:

4. I'd imagine the R1 has a 6.0" rim.

With that, it'll fit fine -- just know that there is a tradeoff. It will increase steering responsiveness, at the cost of (theoretical) maximum amount of traction.

5. Go to a r1 forum is my advise.

Many bike will perform better on a slightly narrower tyre, but it may not be the case with your bike.

Be prepared to set your suspension up again at least.

6. 190 vs 180

Before you fit the 180 check the load index (usually something like 86W after the tyre size) on the tyre is the same as the 190. By law it must be the same or higher or you will make the bike technically un-roadworthy.

7. It will definately fit.

I commonly put 180's on the back of my R1 and have preferred doing that over the 190's with no suspension adjustment required. Have even done ride days with 180's.

Did notice on ridedays that with 180 you will get closer to edge of front tyre than with the 190 tho this is at pretty large lean angles and bike felt fine.

Personally I have never had a problem with the 180 on the rear.

Just my 2c worth :)

8. It fits