Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

18 inch rear wheel on a YZ 250F

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by yesitsmehere, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Hi

I was wondering if anyone has put a 18 inch rear wheel on a YZ 250F or other motocross bike and what effect it had.

I've had my bike revalved and it's good except it still kicks on fast hard edge bumps, I mainly do enduro type riding.

My mate has a WR and it's much better up the straights but mine's good everywhere else.

I was thinking this is the main difference.

2. Great tech question you ask there mate I am correct in guessing that you have a 19”fitted to your bike now.

18” wheels have slightly less gyroscopic effect than a 19” wheel so in effect will turn easier and be more flick-able great in a enduro bike but the rolling diameter is less so will more likely to stutter on or into smaller bumps or drop into the berm your shocks will need to be really fine tuned on rebound and compression and maybe a softer spring to try and get rid of the kick you describe.

In the long run the WR was a purpose built enduro rig so would have 18” rears and long soft spring well damped suspension as well as wider ratios in the box to enable it to wind out and really smooth the ride out. As you said mate you will roost em in the berms but when the road opens up his set up will enable him to ride around you.
  3. Hi Mate

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate them.