Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

17th tooth on the hornet 9

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by timbo79, Nov 27, 2007.

1. anyone know about adding a 17th tooth on the hornet 900??

it is meant to lower the revs on the freeway?? with a little power loss does anyone know if this is the case and worth doing or have done it to a hornet 9??

cheers guys

safe riding :wink:
  2. you will still be making the same power, but you lose a fair bit of bottom end pull, but the end result will be that you will be using less revs to do the same speeds as before, you will also throw your speedo out, and not on the safe side, you will be travelling quicker then the speedo will be reading, unlessit was very optimistic in the first place

being that you in VIC where they will do you for being 3km/h over, you have to assess whether the savings in fuel will be worth the risk, of forgetting the amount of error on your speedo
  3. I really wouldn't bother, unless at least 50% of your riding is on the freeway.

Since I don't do much freeway work though, I'd actually drop a tooth on the front - acceleration is way more important than top speed. And its not like its a high revver anyway, I think Jeff was saying its 3000rpm @ 90kmh?
  4. I don't know why you'd bother. If anything, most bikes these days are already overgeared. Who needs to go 100kmh in first gear? I'd rather pack all that acceleration into a narrower zone.

I enjoyed the H9 a lot more when it was downgeared 1 tooth at the front, and 3 up on the back. The thought of voluntarily *raising* the gearing where there's no racetrack imperative makes me lose hope for humanity.
  5. Why bother????

It is already a lazy powerful beast in the wrong hands :LOL:

60 kmh at 2000rpm
    80 kmh at 3000rpm
    100 kmh at 4000rpm

redline at 9000rpm

Plus the speedo will read slower than actual speed and on my bike I seem to be going 20 over everywhere anyway :shock:
  6. Something's not right there Jeffers, you're either under-reading by 20km/h at 100 indicated, or over by 10 at 60 indicated...or your tach's wrong...or something else is wrong :LOL:
  7. thanks guys just saw somthing about it on a u.s website. obviously not as important as they think........
  8. What Loz said...especially the bit about losing all hope for humanity. :)
  9. Nah yak.........oh a little out.....105kmh at 4000 rpm :LOL:

all on flat ground and "cruising" speeds and constant revs IE just holding the speed.

Maybe the tacho is out, but the guy running beside me with the analyser plugged in confirms it is accurate..............jeez he can run fast :shock:
  10. :LOL: Is his name Forrest?

Speeds in the same gear should make for a linear equation unless something's slipping, id est, 60km/h at 2000rpm means 120km/h at 4000rpm :)
  11. Mate.........all I know is what I see in front of me with no slippage etc etc

Just the facts man, just the facts :LOL: have a ride and see for yourself!!

go figure!!!!
  12. Alright mate :grin: ...and I will when I get a licence :(
  13. FWIW, I get 130km/h at exactly 5000rpm on the dial.
  14. In all the testing I have done against a Garmin XL 12 GPS bike speedos seem to be optimistic by between 7 & 10%.
    My Bandit with stock everything is optimistic by 8%.
    Unless you change the gearing by more than that you should be ok but like others say, why bother?

I dont know why bikes are out by this much and there is no reason for building this amount of error into the design.
    They could all do better now that most have electronic speedo's.