Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1400 GTR - Installing FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Blocks

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Highett, May 11, 2015.

1. Not long after I bought the GTR I decided to add some accessory fuse blocks, at this point other than ride it I had not tinkered with it before.

I gathered the bits I thought that I would need:

The Service Manual, I knew it was big but I was not expecting the brick that turned up, damn near need a trolley to wheel it around - Good value too.
    Manual Wizard
    Link:
    http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/manualwizard/the-KAWASAKI/Categories
    Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS 1400GTR 2010 2011 Service Shop Manual Part# 99924-1431-02
    Manual: $30.00
    Shipping: $12.00 (USPS First Class Mail International)

For the price I do not think it is the genuine item, a very good copy and nicely presented and a lot cheaper than the dealer.

ManualDVD.

The Maintenance DVD set, exceptional value as I am a Mechanical NUL, being able to see how its done with in depth explanations as well, Yep that's for me.

Angel Ride Maintenance Videos
    Link:
    http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html
    Kawasaki Concours Maintenance Video 10 DVD Set
    DVD Set: 89.95
    Shipping: 3.00

MaintenanceDVDs.

The wiring diagram, got it from Angel Ride Maintenance Videos, OMG - my eyes popped open wide when I saw that, still handy to have.

C14__color_2.

The Fuse Blocks, Researched them on forums and Google and decided on the FZ-1, They are compact and are easy to install and handle 6 accessories each, I bought two (2) one for the front and one for the back.
    Fuzeblocks.com
    Link:
    www.fuzeblocks.com
    Fuze Block: $79.95 each
    Shipping: $14.00

• Like Like x 1
  2. Installing FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Blocks - Continued

Individually Packaged:

Packaged.

Size comparison against the FOB:

SizeFOBTop. SizeFOBSide.

Contents top side:

Laidouttop.

Contents bottom side:
    Laidoutbottom.

Whats inside:

Opened.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Installing FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Blocks - Continued

The Bits:

I got a pair of 30 amp weather proof blade fuses from Super Cheap Auto, Damn things did not have a fuse so had to by some separately.

While poking around in Super Cheap I also got a 35 amp joining block, may come in handy.

I searched Singleton inside out looking for some 30 amp wiring, Settled on 50 amp paired, found an off cut in the shelving out back at Repco the guy at the counter was real helpful, bit heavier than I wanted but it will do the trick.

Bits.

I have some shrink tube and other nick nacks in the Garage.

Where are they going, at this point until I strip of some covers and have a bow Peep I am not sure but I am thinking one inside of the fairing on the right side and one under the seat somewhere.

One thing I have is plenty of time so I am in no rush.

OK, For me doing this fuse block and wiring the FF50's was something new, in fact quite challenging as I have never done either before and the GTR1400 I found intimidating, with all its tech and being as crammed as it is.

I am so glad that I was not in a rush and took the time to research and prepare in advance.

However now that I have finished and I must say that I set no world records here, 3 days in the garage to wire in
    1. Two separate 30 amp fused 12 volt pared cables, one to the front and one to the back.
    2. Installed the fuse block in the front, Could not fit a fuse block under the seat (Single 12 volt power source instead at the rear)
    3. Wired in the driving lights (with a relay tapped into the high beam and the switch in the dash)
    4. Changed the globes in the FF50's to Philips X-treme power globes.
    5. Changed the GTR's standard globes to Philips X-treme power globes.

They are an improvement over the standard globes.

Each wire for every connection and join was soldered, wires going into screwed fittings were soldered before fitting.

I have to say right now, The Maintenance DVDs are worth every cent.

The Maintenance DVD showed me how to get the Smart Rivets out without removing the wind screen, and the big one how to remove the fuel tank. I had no idea I would need a a special tool (hunk of wood) to get to the fuel line.

This was very different from the bikes I remembered (20 years plus ago), However I had a great time working on the GTR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Installing FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Blocks - Continued

So here's the photos,

Removing the tank.

Just as the DVD said the rubber blocks fell off, stuck them back on with 3M doubled side tape again suggested by the DVD.

RubberBlocks1. RubberBlocks2. RubberBlocks3.

The Wood:

Thewood. Thewood2.

The fuel Line:

FuelLineAccess. FuelLineOff.

The Battery:

Now isn't it cramped in there, I managed to get two separate 50 amp pared cables fused (30 amp) close to the positive terminal out of there, If I ever need to get the battery out I will have to removed the fuel tank and disconnect the power cables from the 35 amp joining block through the access panel.
    Seems like a lot of rooting around, but now I know how to remove the tank with out pulling off the plastic, it does not take long and its pretty easy.

Battery1. Battery2. Battery3. Battery4.

The power cables (Front & Rear) Separate with own 30amp fuse and shared earth.

PowerCable1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Installing FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Blocks - Continued

The Rear Cable:

PowerCableFront1. PowerCableRear1. PowerCableRear2. PowerCableRear3.

Area under the seat:

I tried in so many places to fit that FZ-1 fuse block under there (including removing the tool box) and was not happy with how it sat in any place.
    The rear was a secondary goal for me as I do not have any Farkles at the back yet, but now I do have a direct 12 volt fused power source sitting there for when I do, Mean while I will keep looking for something that does fit.

Rear1.

Note: I have since changed the seat to a Corbin Split seat and have mounted the rear fuse block in the tool holder.

The front cable:

Photos are self explanatory here I think.

PowerCableFront2. PowerCableFront3.

The front bracket: (Attached to the inside right mirror mount)

TheBracket2. TheBracket1.

The fuse block and FF50 relay:

TheBracket3.

The wiring:

Wired1. Wired2. Wired3. Wired.

Side cover fitted:

CoverFitted.

Job Done:

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Epic job but when you do it yourself and finish it there's nothing like a coldy or three. I am amazed at how much they squeeze in to so little space as you said certainly different from the old days.

7. I bought my 1400 GTR 3yrs ago, and have just turned over 60K. I am not confident carry out mechanical repairs, and thank you for explaining (especially the photos) of how you carried out the task. The only extras I have fitted to the bike are 1" risers, hard wired GPS and iPhone case. I passed my rider's licence 50yrs ago albeit a ride down the street with an RTA guy watching, and have never been without a bike since. I think the 1400GTR is the best bike I have had thus far, and I am surprised with the mileage you get from a tank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maca44,
    Things have changed so much over the years, My licence test was 4 left turns around the block being followed by a police car.
    Agree that the GTR is one hell of a bike, mine is a 2011 and has 91,000 on the clock.
    THe best aftermarket item I have fitted is the McCruise, is a worthy addition. Great on a long ride.
    I see your in Sydney, we must have ridden some of the same roads, I was living in Singleton when I bought my GTR, moved here to Gracemere a year and a bit ago.
    Cheers