Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National 140 km/h safer in Australia

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Oct 11, 2010.

1. 140km/h safer in Australia: Safety expert
    Barry Park
    October 11, 2010 - 3:21PM

A leading German safety expert says Australian drivers could travel faster on freeways in an effort to reduce the road toll

Australian drivers would be safer travelling at higher speeds on freeways, a German safety expert says.

Dr Ulrich Mellinghoff, the head of safety at German luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz, believes that Australian authorities could also better manage our road network to create a system that was much safer for all motorists.

Dr Mellinghoff is visiting Australia to showcase safety technology fitted to the car maker's vehicles. He said drivers here should be allowed to travel faster on long stretches of road, mainly to fight fatigue.

Advertisement: Story continues below He said Australian roads also needed to be better managed to introduce a European-style system where slow-moving traffic - including trucks - was confined to the left lane on freeways, freeing up the right lane for high-speed traffic.

''In Germany, it is not allowed for cars to pass on both sides (of slow-moving traffic),'' he said. ''This divides the traffic more or less, with faster driving on the left side and the slower-driving cars on the right side.

''I think there is no difference here. A system that works in Germany will work in Australia the same way.

''Maybe a top speed of 200km/h is not necessary, but I think if you divided it (the traffic) a little bit on these very long distances you have to drive, it's better to drive at 130 km/h or 140 km/h, although in terms of drowsiness you still have to drive at 100km/h.

''We in Germany have absolutely no problem with higher speeds. We've discussed it often, and very often the discussion was that it was unsafe. But our statistics show this is not the case.''

Dr Mellinghoff, who is on his first visit to Australia, said while the quality of roads here was comparable with those in Germany, the drivers were not.

...full article
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The problem with these overseas experts is that our politicians etc refuse to listen to them.

Not long ago there was a report from the UK saying that they were going to reduce the number of speed cameras because their benefits to road safety were dubious. Then just last week some Australian (QLD I think) QC comes out and says that speed cameras work to reduce the road toll.

As I've said before, whatever Europe, the UK or USA do we will do five years later.
    • Like Like x 1

3. Totally untrue! It's only the dumb things that we do five years later... The good ideas take twenty.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sorry, yes you're right.
  5. he's obviously not been driving around Victoria then
  6. I'm going to be laughing about this quote for a long time (I could not agree with him more)...
  7. Our big freeways are pretty good surface wise.

They'd need better lighting and, extremely importantly for Australia, serious wildlife fences to be at an autobahn grade.

I would NOT want to nail a wombat at 140 let alone an emu or red. :shock:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I have never wanted to nail a wombat, emu or red but each to his own.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. Ah...one of my fears!
  10. He obviously hasn't gone past the airport - CBD freeways then.

You cant do 130-140 safely on the Hume especially during Friday Evening/Sunday Evening due to the idiots we have to share the road with.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been cruising along in the car at 110 only to have someone jump out into the right lane to overtake someone while I'm lining both of them up myself.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I doubt he's saying 140 is appropriate everywhere. On my drives to the dropzone, 110 makes me want to kill myself with boredom. There's no reason the Hume couldn't be a 200 zone most of the way to Nagambie, as far as I'm concerned.
  12. Having recently taken the hume on the way to Canberra, I couldn't agree more.
  13. I agree, grue - Having been to ze autobahn just last year, most of it is actually speed controlled with fairly sensible limits depending on the conditions - road surface, lanes, visibility, traffic and so on.

And then when it's wide, straight, flat and sensible enough, the speed limit disappears and everyone cruises at a comfortable 160-180kph instead.
  14. In Germany, you don't have Roos or Wombats.

And, did nobody else notice the comment, "while the quality of roads here was comparable with those in Germany, the drivers were not".

Suspect there would need to be a tightening of our driver training in Australia before raising speed limits could become a reality.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. They do have deer though, and there is a well known test called the "moose test" to simulate avoiding a deer on the autobarn.
  16. If the Hume was 130-140 you would save a few hours traveling to Melbourne/Sydney. I thoroughly dislike that drive at present speeds and there are parts which are dead straight.

Why don't our boys in blue crack down on people not staying left unless overtaking and less focus on the people don't 5-10kms over the speed limit on the highway!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. He's kidding right? Our average driver doesn't even bother to get up to 100 before trying to merge onto the freeway from a ramp.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. Has anyone spotted the media bias again? Mark Skaife mooted exactly the same issue earlier this year, and was laughed out of town. He advocated better driving instruction, using the German technique as the best example, he called for raising of the limits (130/140kph on freeways) and Brumby was on radio and TV within 1 hour rubbishing the concept.

Let's hope that this time someone listens. We need better driver training, we need better road rule enforcement, and we need a limit that opens up traffic such that bunching/tailgating goes away.
  19. Despite introducing a 130km/h limit for the region’s four main highways – the Stuart, Arnhem, Barkly and Victoria – and implementing a demerit point system, fatalities in 2007 have climbed to 57.

The toll has increased from 44 in the same period last year, and 35 in 2004. A report in 2006 found that NT roads had a death rate three times that of the rest of the country, which prompted the Government to slap limits on major highways in a knee-jerk reaction.

But with the road toll now worse, the opposition Country Liberal Party (CLP) said it was time for new NT Chief Minister Paul Henderson to reverse the controversial changes.

link http://www.caradvice.com.au/9009/opposition-nt-speed-limits-should-be-scrapped/