Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

14 tooth front sprocket on a Ducati 996 enquiry

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by azi, Feb 17, 2009.

1. I am thinking of swapping the front sprocket on my 996 to a 14 tooth size. Could any other Ducati owners please tell me if they've done this themselves, and if there are any issues with swing arm clearance and chain wear.

2. I dare say that there will be no issues with that. The Tuono comes with a 15t front sprocket std and many people (myself included) change to a 14t to improved rideability.
  3. Yip - quite common. No problem at all.
  4. Swingarm clearance is only an issue when you're going for a larger rear sprocket on a single-sided swingarm. A smaller front sprocket won't pose any clearance problems.
  5. Not a 996, but I did run my previous 748 with an extra 2 teeth on the rear to make more of the engine.
    Turned out more economical in the long run funny enough.

916-998 & 748 were all sold with way too tall gearing.
    Going alittle up on the back sprocket , or one down on the front is the big perfromance ticket on these things.
    (speedo runs off the front wheel)

Same layout as the 748, I can recall I think I know what you mean with clearance of the swingarm. Although you should be OK with one tooth down at the front.
  6. 14T is good on Desmoquattro's with stock rear.

Check chain tension on the top swingarm runner. If it's too tight it can wear through the teflon and then the swingarm. Slightly looser is good.
  7. Thanks for the tips guys. I've ordered the 14T sprocket today and look forward to having a bike that's easier to ride.