Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

130km/h Melb-Syd experiment

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by goz, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 130kmh_729-420x0.

You don’t have to spend long in holiday traffic to realise more thought needs to go into speed zones around Australia.
    Cruising along the Hume Highway (impressively now with more wire rope barriers to stop head-ons and impacts with trees, even if bikers understandably aren't fans) in light traffic on a sunny day, for example, and it’s clear there are sections that could easily handle speeds of 120 or 130km/h. Most of the dual carriageway (which is almost the entire stretch these days) could easily cope with higher speeds in the right conditions.
    There’s good vision, smooth bitumen and long on- and off-ramps, all of which are conducive to higher speeds – and getting somewhere in less time.

Currently, though, the dual carriageway freeway can pose more dangers with fatigue than crawling over the at times tediously modest limit. There’s also the issue of tailgating, which is a genuine concern as drivers don’t dare risk creeping a few kilometres per hour over the limit, creating a recipe for high speed, multi-vehicle disaster.
    Throw in speedo error (speedometers can be legally inaccurate by up to 10 per cent) and frustration and impatience is an increasing problem on one of Australia’s busiest freeways.
    At the very least governments should investigate more European-style variable speed limits, which could impose slower speeds at night and in the rain while allowing higher speeds when it makes sense.
    We already have variable limits on some inner-city freeways - it's time to expand them to country areas, allowing people to travel places more efficiently. Cars are, after all, a means of traveling places quickly.
    Yet I get the impression it would be a bold government to trial higher speed limits than the current 110km/h state limit. We've been programmed to believe that anything over 110km/h is hooning even though other parts of the world - including the Northern Territory - prove otherwise.

http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-t...for-the-hume-highway-20120102-1pho4.html#poll

poll as it stands
    Should the Hume Highway speed limit be revised?

Yes - to at least 120km/h 89%
    110km/h is spot on 7%
    No – it should be reduced 4%
    Total votes: 13545.

2. the comments section is a good read

3. Interesting mix of opinions but generally in favour

4. Based on the vote results, there's overwhelming support for the higher speed limit.

5. No – it should be reduced 4%

can someone please tell me who these wankers are

6. #6 Dougz, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    MUARC, TAC and both sides of the Vic Gov.

DUH...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Davoe Magpie has a small penis.

8. 130 is way too slow. i risk fatigue

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fox its probably that doctor neuro surging on all.those adds probably Harold scruby too probably thinks there's pedestrians there or something

10. If they want to reduce highway road tolls they need to introduce about another half dozen or so lost cost airlines and better infrastructure at airports and more regional airports

this may drive the price of airfares to the floor and as such people will fly more and the highways left to the road freight transport

I know I would rather fly long distance than drive - it would make more sense - less time lost , cheaper , less fatigue , no chance of inadvertently speeding and getting a ticket or loss of licence

11. Take note this is a NSW poll in the Sydney Morning Herald so would apply to the NSW part of the Hume only.

From what I've experienced the entire "Freeway" sections of the Hume in NSW is suitable for 130km/h speeds if the weather conditions are ok.

South of the border however the Tallarook - Seymour section is too narrow and has too many bends to be safe for the "average" punter to drive at 130, the rest of it is fine though.

I will say that "if" they ever got serious about a 130 limit they'd need to add an extra lane on a lot of the steeper up hill sections that would be for 130 vehicles only otherwise slow trucks and cars overtaking even slower vehicles will be a big issue.

12. Now up to 90% for increase. So far just over 15,000 have voted, everyone no matter what state your in should vote on this and really push up the numbers.

Poll: Should the Hume Highway speed limit be revised?

Yes - to at least 120km/h 90%
    110km/h is spot on 7%
    No – it should be reduced 3%

Total votes: 15807.

13. Port Stephens to Melbourne in a hire car after my boat sank,

Straight down the Hume highway, 110 KPH limit all the way,

Put it on cruise control.

Now, how do I stay awake, All I am doing is sitting here, Bored shitless and nothing to do,

White line fever is chronic, Its now called a power nap,

The Govt and all its departments recognize the fact that going slow will kill you, 100 or 110 KPH on a Freeway.

Thats why they have so many power nap signs, Covers their arse so you cant sue them.

14. I would not feel unsafe doing 200 on the Hume (at least the parts I've been on, as far as Euroa and a bit past). Just sayin'.

• Like Like x 2
  15.  Top
  16. If they allowed that, I'd buy a bigger bike.
    Therefore, higher speed limits = good for the economy?

• Like Like x 1
  17. My father reacted angrily to this proposal. He's so biege that I am ashamed of my DNA.

18. 130 on 3 lanes highways....any more lanes than this, 150.
    BRING IT !

19. finally, some common sense.

but 200 is difficult to maintain on a naked bike for that time frame.
    180 is enough for me. beyond that imma need some fairings.
    still gives you the option of 209kph without losing your licence

• Like Like x 1
  20. in this country, hell yes.
    everything relies on trucking goods from point to point over vast distances here.
    even a 10kph increase would slash hours of transportation. hours = money.
    the benefits to the economy and productivity would be astronomical.