Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

125's as a first bike? + unsupportive family/friends

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jace_F, Sep 12, 2011.

1. This has to be the longest ever progression from first booking to bike purchase ever....unsupportive friends/family and costs are killing me!

Anyway I have been back and forth over a number of bike choices and had settled on the VTR although I am now starting to think a smaller, lighter and cheaper 125 might be better to learn on and then change up in 12 months or so.

To get a cheap VTR it will have plenty of kms on it but I can grab a CBR125R or Aprillia RS125 at a decent price without costing the world. Am I misguided in my logic there? I was originally thinking Sachs madass but im not sold on the look. Any other decent 125s I am missing? Preferably nakeds? (Yeah I know they two listed arent!)

Also, any tips on how to convince the family/gf that a bike is a good idea? Everyone is 1000% opposed to the idea, the best I can do is get them to consider a scooter and they still arent happy about that! (On that note...why is a scooter considered safer?)
  2. I too always find it strange how scooters are perceived as being a safer form of transport in comparison to motorbikes... Does it matter that you're on a smaller bike when a car comes at you at 80km/h? If anything, you're in a better position to scadaddle!

In terms of convincing friends and family, why don't you show them how serious you are in terms of safety by purchasing good gear and enrolling is some advanced training?

I think it's natural that those that care for you are concerned but you just gotta push through. Motorcycling really is just too much fun.
  3. +1 for pushing through the hassle your loved one's will give you about it - if your determined enough with wanting to ride you'll make it happen...so that's not an issue...as for bike's...im sick of being a newbie douchebag who always carries on about how great the model of bike he has is simply because it's the only bike he's ever owned....so...bikepoint.com.au & bikesales.com.au ....scope thru there bike reviews as it'll give you some easy to understand descriptions of certain bikes that might help you make a more educated choice

one thing i will say...everyone needs to ride there own ride..if your not gonna be riding often i guess a 125 should be fine...but i ride a 250 as a first bike..even after 2 months i found myself wanting more power and weight in the bike i ride (blown around in wind on lighter bike and lack of power for highways - they do the job...but could be so much better)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Just so you know, the Aprilia RS 125 has a two stroke engine which puts out a lot more power than a CBR125. Two strokes also have very little power until you reach the 'powerband' at high revs which gives a very sudden performance boost. They're fun to ride though but I just thought you should know the difference.

They also smell.
  5. Yeah I know the Aprilia is a two stroke and has a lot more power than the CBR which appeals although I am not sure how comfortable I am going to be riding it at high revs as a newbie so maybe its not the way to go?

The scooter things is bizarre, the only thing I can think of is that they are less complicated to ride? I think their concern is probably more related to everyone else out there on the road so I might have to try those things. Its something I have always wanted to do so will have to make it happen!
  6. Haha, yeah I have been over bikepoint and bikesales looking for inspiration, always end up confusing myself even more! Since I posted this before now I have come across Yamahas R125 as well!

I was thinking I can pick up a 125 cheap and it wil be easier to manage as a learner but maybe not. I wouldnt be going far, in fact I dont need it to go anywhere! Just pretty much for riding about on for the pure enjoyment of it.
  7. picked up my gpx for $500 unreg and all it needed for pink slip was a blinker fixed =D good deals can be found...just be sure not to get burnt and if you buy privately - i'm sure you can find someone on here that'll happily look over a bike for you if you don't know anyway

+1 for the rs125 though...mate and old member of this mob "loki" had one...rode biatch on it a few times before i finally pulled my finger out and got my own bike...yes...they smell...and they do pick up quickly...but it kept him more than happy...although being a 2 stroker it spent alot of time in the shop getting fixed.

if you go to a dealers ....don't get bullied into buying a bike if your not positive...fkn scavengers some of them...had this guy trying to sit me down and talk about finance and extra's n shit just because i walked past ..nodded at a bike n said she's nice to the guy....I WAS WALKING TO THE PARTS SHOP TO GET FUSES
  8. The 2 stroke smells great, sounds great too unless your doing lots of highways. Mechanicals are cheaper and has been less hassle for me.........................

Its not the greatest learners bike, its tall like a proper 600, its powerband is small, its gutless under 7.5k, its got a widish turning circle, the engine heat up quickly, youd need to learn how to shift and control the throttle more than a 4 stroke etc..................BUT it certainly is fun. As a first bike, I wouldnt recommend the RS125 but out of the bunch the RS would give you more satisfaction and for longer.
  9. +1. I wouldn't get an RS125 as a first bike. The VTR250 would be a better choice.
  10. I'm not sure how old you are, but given that you are over 18 and paying for it yourself, then your family have very little say in it.

As for the gf, again, unless she's paying for it, then I don't see what say she has.

The best you can hope for is that they continue to talk to you after you've bought the bike.
  11. Your situation depends on how much influence you are prepared to allow others to have. Ask them "what would YOU do if the roles were reversed?"
  12. I'm pretty sure I saw a stat somewhere that showed that motorcycle riders were 5x more likely to be in an accident than scooter riders but I can't remember where I saw it. It may have been comparing motorcycles to 50cc scooters or something like that.
  13. I was looking around to get my first bike and had thought about getting a CBR125 for a few reasons, EFI, smallish bike, light, cost is cheaper ie rego and CTP and purchase (most of the ones I had seen had been dropped and fairing stuck in place with duct tape)

But I always liked the VTR250 and in the end I bought one recently. Even though it did cost double of a CBR125. I am very glad I got the VTR250 as after a few rides, I don't think I would enjoy anything smaller.

As previously suggested, get all your riding gear from head to toe, and maybe that will help with your family to ease into you getting a bike.

I don't know how old you are but sometimes if you know all the convincing would not change their mind and you are really set on getting a bike and you are sensible about it just go for it. Eventually your family will accept that you want to ride and you can demostrate you can ride safely and responsibly. Kinda like buying your first car and driving it by yourself.

Good luck with it.
  14. Advice 1: stop reading crap

Advice 2: if you want to ride a bike, go and buy one

Advice 3: ride what you feel comfortable on...there is more to riding than how much power your 125cc puts out...if you can't stop / corner / position, then why are you concerned with power??

P.S. Yamaha now make a R15 which is a 150cc if you want another option to the 125cc.

P.P.S. one thing i've found that shuts family up is that when they start ranting about bikes, tell em riding isn't dangerous, it's their shit driving that is dangerous.
  15. Hey, I didn't say I believed it, just said I saw it. He did ask why people thought scooters were safer than bikes, it was just an answer to the question. Don't shoot the messenger.
  16. well i hope you're not using it to convince the family its all good, you'd just be making it worse.

get a bike, do a burn out on the lawn, **** some chick that's not a whinger and enjoy your life.
  17. It does work sometimes and sometimes its just a means to and end. Used to ride BMW bikes many years ago. My wife was very anti bikes (came from a country where the accident rate on the roads was very high so bikers were at a much higher risk than in Australia. About a 1000 people die on the roads on the easter weekend alone there).

When we moved to Melbourne, I managed to convince her to let me get a scooter for riding into the city. After two years of riding with her doing pillion for short trips to the movies and things like that, she eventually decided to get her own learners and license because she realised it wasn't as dangerous as she thought. From there, getting the upgrade to a full bike wasn't hard to convince her on and I'm in the process of getting a Ducati Monster.

Sure its a long way to getting what you want, but if I got a bike to start with, she wouldn't have been comfortable getting her own license and getting to a point where she actually enjoyed biking so this way, I kept both of us happy and still got what I wanted.
  18. I agree that realistically they cant stop me if I want to do it, its just that I could do without the whinging and earache about it all! Would be easier if they supported the move. Everyone always knows someone who had an accidedent etc etc. Although as a rider said to me once, "no one will ever support it, you just have to do it."

Interesting, I tend to think it must be user error. I mean I was fanging a scooter all over Thailand and Greece with no problem never having been on a bike before. I wouldnt never have had the confidence to pull that on a bike just because its alot more technical.

Yeah a VTR is my preferred option but the cost and size of it are off putting. Everyone would be more comfortable with something smaller, the bigger the bike the scarier it looks to them.

Hahaha @ the PPS
    I havent heard about the R15, il have a look at those as well. Cheers

Hmmm, I am wondering if thats the long approach I am going to have to go with!
  19. One possible reason for the stats is I think scooters remove the douchebag factor. I.e. they're not necessarily safer and a safe rider is not necessarily less likely to have an accident on a scooter, they just don't attract the douchebags who do the dumbest things that are likely to qualify them for a darwin award. Douchebags are typically attracted to the fastest piece of machinery they are the least qualified to ride without listening to any logic or reasoning from experienced riders. Thats not to say there aren't douchebags riding scooters or all motorcycle riders are douchebags, just that the small minority who are the douchebags are attracted to motorcycles whereas most scooter riders are likely to buy it just to get to work and back and clearly looking cool is not high on their agenda or they'd be buying a proper bike.

The long approach should be a last resort so I'd reserve it for the last possible option. If its your family and you're planning to move out of home, don't worry about it. If its your wife/girlfriend and you plan to stick with them long term, it may take a little while for them to get used to the idea so long term options sometimes work.
  20. Honda NSR150!