Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

125 or 250cc?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hyujhyuj, Sep 19, 2014.

1. #1 hyujhyuj, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    Hi everyone, how are you all?

I have been thinking about this and have spent tons of time pondering and researching about this.

I am a beginner who just got my L about a month ago. I like to say I am a safe driver/rider, never received a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. I just strongly believe that the best thing to do on the road is to simply be safe. You can arrive at your destination 5 mins early or so but if you die on the way, what good is arriving 5 mins early? My number one priority is definitely safety.

Moving on to the main topic now, I have been researching CB125E by Honda, and people from whirlpool seem to think that 125 is simply way too slow, too weak and even dangerous because you cannot get out of a dangerous situation. I tried sitting on one, and I felt absolutely super good and comfortable and most importantly, confident. Soooooo light and easy to handle, which makes me believe that this is absolutely the best bike to learn on, because as with anything in life, the foundation is the most important. If you have a solid, strong foundation, then you can work your way up. I am currently thinking of getting this which is priced at $2500 (sadly cannot find a 2nd hand one...sigh...) and once I have built my confidence, skills etc, I will definitely upgrade to a ninja, since riding a ninja has always been one of my goals since I developed this love for riding a bike.

I am not the type of person who loves speeding, showing off on the road, or the type of person who thinks speeding is a cool thing to do and if you don't do it you are a coward etc. Go ahead, call me a coward but in the end I will be alive, as opposed to those who show off and have a much greater likelihood of being involved in an accident and end up dying.

In light of the above, I do not quite understand why people say 125 is actually dangerous on the road. I know it is slow, but what is the likelihood of needing that extra power to get me out of a sticky situation? With 125 I feel super confident and I like working my way up slowly but steadily.

Bear in mind I will not be riding on freeways etc. Just a good light safe bike to learn and develop my skills on, so no freeways etc.

Buying a 2nd hand Ninja 250, at around $4500 (so expensive...)

This is a sport bike so it does feel bigger and I can notice the difference is quite real. Not to mention the weight also. I know tons of people use ninja 250 as their first ever bike to learn on, but if I like the CB125E to learn on, why should I go for ninja 250? Some counter arguments include the fact that I will be more likely to keep the 250 for longer, but then I am not even sure if I will be able to ride the 250 confidently, safely, with the same comfort as CB125e, etc. Everyone learns at a different pace.

So, what do you think guys? Like I said, I am a firm believer in starting slowly SAFELY and steadily and working my way up. My biggest concern right now is people who said that 125 is actually "dangerous" on the road....?

I do apologize for the lengthy post. Hope to hear back from you guys, thank you very much from reading and any helpful comment very appreciated.

Take care guys and thanks again

Read forum stickies: Bike reviews/questions/suggestions do not belong in General
  2. Get whatever bike you feel comfortable on and can afford. If you're not going to ride above 80 km/h constantly then the 125 will be fine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Definitely get the 125 if you're just going to potter around suburban streets. However if you're going to do abit of freeway riding then go for the 250.

I got my learner's just under a month ago and I'm riding a 500 mainly due to my commute requiring the use of the freeway.

Sit on a 250 and see how you feel.
  4. As korbail rightly said, it's what YOU feel comfortable on.

Even on freeways, you, as a learner, will have a speed limit of 80 kph anyway.

The trouble with the "power to get out of trouble" is that it cuts both ways, it can just as easily get you into more trouble.
  5. My first bike was a 125. I enjoyed it, but it was not long before I realised it was too small. (like a few weeks)
    You can go slow/easy on a 250, you don't have to go full throttle all the time.
    But as others have said, you must be comfortable with you choice.
    Good luck,
  6. buy what you feel good on, I personally would not have a problem with a 125 if I was riding around in 60kph Zones or less. they have all the power to get you going at those speeds. But in saying that I would not feel safe on a highway (and I have done a 4 hour ride on a 125 on the pacific highway it did not feel safe at all).

If it is budget you are basing your decision on I think $4,500 for a ninja 250 is extreme. Someone would have had to put a lot of extras on one to make it worth it, you would pick one up for around 3 to 3.5k, maybe 4 for a mint condition one. Just shop around.

Also you should be able to pick up a cbr125e for like 2k, I have seen them in the past on sale for that price. I think you could talk a dealer down.

But as always, buy what you want not what people tell you.
  7. Thanks a lot guys i truly appreciate the answers.

Yeah...i am in a really strong dilemma...125 is so good to learn and develop my skills on.....but the fact it is too slow makes me think twice. At the same time i prefer to learn slowly safely and steadily.

Once i am confident i will upgrade to a higher cc ninja or so.

At the moment looking for more inputs and thanks again all
  8. As others have said, get what you feel most comfortable with. Having said that, 250cc bikes are not really any more difficult to ride than a 125cc. A lot of training schools use 250cc for absolute beginners and for the most part they cope fairly well. The weight difference between the two is probably not even noticeable. Your best bet is to try out some 250cc bikes then decide from there.
  9. From experience I'd suggest a 125 is barely sufficient even at 60kph, having moved from scooter to gs500. As long as you don't get a 250 with a wild power band its easy enough to ride gently until you're ready to use more power, at which point you'll appreciate it being there.
  10. I would get a 250cc. You will get used to the extra weight and power very quickly. And with a 250cc if you do need to go on the highway it will be a lot better than the 125cc.

You say you won't be riding on the freeway but that may change as you get more comfortable with riding. I couldn't really ride after getting my Ls so certainly didn't think I'd be commuting 125km each day on the highway and city peak hour within a month of getting my Ls but I was. So it's good to have a bike that will give you that option.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for a lot of the responses guys.

I think I have decided to just go with a 250, BUT....naked bike. Then, after once I have gained enough confidence, etc. then later on I will upgrade to a sport bike.

Currently I am thinking between a CB250 or VTR 250, both naked, but really the problem is finding a 2nd hand one....

Well, ANY 250cc 2nd NAKED bike should be good for me...I just realized (stupid me) that there is no need to ride a cb125 when there is cb250 or similar lol. What is important to me as a beginner is it has to be a NAKED bike...not a sport bike, because I do believe I am more confident on a naked bike for now.
  12. I learnt on the VTR, it's awesome and they tend to hold value. Haven't heard great stuff re the CB250 tho.
  13. I did my learner course of CB250, not a bad bike. Comfortable sitting style, but they don't look as nice as the VTR.
  14. CB250 has nothing on a VTR250, but getting one at a good price may prove challenging. they where retailing at around 8-9k at one point (not 100% on this).

Go test ride a vtr250 and a ninja 250, if you feel comfortable on the ninja I would recommend you just buy it instead, it can be costly to jump around from bike to bike. Unless you are a good negotiator then go for it. (just a friendly suggestion)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Get the ninja 250, it's slightly heavier weight disappears once u get it moving. Reving the tits off a 125 gets booring pretty quick
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I am aiming to get a naked bike first for my first ever bike guys, later on will definitely buy a higher CC ninja.

So its between honda cb250 or vtr250. I know vtr250 is nice and therefore is likely to be expensive.. :S

Any other decent 250cc, naked bikes?
  17. Power to get out of trouble is a phrase used by idiots that cant ride. If you need power to get oit of trouble you are riding wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Every time I ride a bike with power it gets me INTO trouble
  19. Sorry to say but the 250 naked bikes are in a niche market, and you have just about gone over the 'decent ones', if you are looking for anything within the last ten years than your choices are what you have seen above and the only other thing I can think of is Hyosung GT250 and the Megelli 250 S (just waiting for the reticules to come). If you are willing to get something old then I could suggest a few others.
  20. Might I suggest that you're possibly talking about more power than a four-stroke 250 would have... ;)

A 250 really doesn't have all that much power (non-LAMS two-strokes excepted), and there isn't really a "power band" compared to two-strokes. My advice to the OP is to sit on a few 250's, see what feels comfortable - even if it has a fairing (eg: a late model CBR250 is essentially the same as a late model CB250 with a few variations here and there and a fairing). The difference in weight between a naked and a faired bike that are based on the same design isn't huge. My take on it is that fairings are good frame protectors in the event of dropping the bike. Chinese fairings with nice paint aren't expensive as replacement options, in case the fairings ever get smashed up. Anyway, just food for thought.